Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Router reports G.DMT

This is a discussion on Router reports G.DMT within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Originally Posted by Saturday OK - I'll bow to your knowledge. However, that doesn't seem to tally with various papers ...

jb51053 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Router reports G.DMT

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      OK - I'll bow to your knowledge. However, that doesn't seem to tally with various papers I've read. Can you point me towards a reference or two?
      Done

2. Advertisement
      mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jb51053 View Post
      Perhaps i should have stated that if a sky router is reporting GDMT its ALWAYS using ADSL1.

8Mb is a typical limit when using fast path, but ADSL1 will do up to 12Mb when using interleaved as apposed to fast path, the additional error correction allowed by interleaving allows for ADSL1 to sync at >8Mb (upto a max of 12Mb) when used instead of fastpath
      Marvellous stuff! So (as I might have said - he he he), when the router says g.dmt it really does mean adsl1. And adsl1 can indeed go faster than 8Mb/s. I've lamented elsewhere, part of the problem is the fact that terminology gets crossed wires and that if I had my own way, we'd all be keeping to the "ITU G.993.ABC. Annex XYZ" terminology to avoid confusion!

Anyway getting back to the point, I take it that means that the 8Mb/s limits are actually "artificial" (meaning practical) ones imposed by the technology rather than by the standards?
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

jb51053 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by mossywell View Post
      Marvellous stuff! So (as I might have said - he he he), when the router says g.dmt it really does mean adsl1. And adsl1 can indeed go faster than 8Mb/s. I've lamented elsewhere, part of the problem is the fact that terminology gets crossed wires and that if I had my own way, we'd all be keeping to the "ITU G.993.ABC. Annex XYZ" terminology to avoid confusion!

Anyway getting back to the point, I take it that means that the 8Mb/s limits are actually "artificial" (meaning practical) ones imposed by the technology rather than by the standards?
      It's more dependant on the line, to get more than 8Mb using ADSL the line still has to be very short and very good, not many lines over 1.5KM will actually do more than 8Mb using ADSL1

It seems in the UK ADSL simply out performs ADSL2 and ADSL2+ on lines over about 3KM (sync and stability wise) so the bottom line is, would you prefer to have a line that might just about manage 10Mb and drop out frequently, or a line that does 8Mb and doesnt drop?

I'd take the stability every time!

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I love this forum

So, it seems that Sky cap customers with an "unusual" later annex to ITU G.992.1 which shares many characteristics with ADSL2/2+ (I'm still reading up on it but it looks like it's using the same sort of packet aggregation and frame bursting?).

I agree with Mossywell though. It all gets very confusing when G.DMT can mean so many things.

Thanks for the education.

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jb51053 View Post
      It's more dependant on the line, to get more than 8Mb using ADSL the line still has to be very short and very good, not many lines over 1.5KM will actually do more than 8Mb using ADSL1

It seems in the UK ADSL simply out performs ADSL2 and ADSL2+ on lines over about 3KM (sync and stability wise) so the bottom line is, would you prefer to have a line that might just about manage 10Mb and drop out frequently, or a line that does 8Mb and doesnt drop?

I'd take the stability every time!
      What I was really asking (badly) is, why is it that G.DMT maximum speeds so often seem to be bang on 8 megs? I.e. where is this speed being set (given that the standard itself doesn't force this to be the maximum speed)?
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456