Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Adding a 2nd router

This is a discussion on Adding a 2nd router within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Apologies if I am in the wrong place. I have sky Q and the router that came with it. All ...

Cptkremmen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 44
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Adding a 2nd router

Apologies if I am in the wrong place.

I have sky Q and the router that came with it. All fine

i now have lots of smart life tplink plugs and yesterday they all lost network connection. I have looked it up on the internet and would like to do the following but do not know what I need to do to the sky Q modem/router

i would like to buy a 2nd cheap router. Give it a new network name and connect all the smart life plugs to it

i believe the tplink plugs are contacting a server in China every 30 seconds with my network details. I believe by adding the 2nd router on a separate network name I can both make my network more secure as well as remove the strain from my sky router having to handle my smart plugs

i am guessing I buy the new router, plug it in with Ethernet to my skyQ router/modem and then have to configure something on the skyQ router to allow it to work? Does anyone know what that would be?

thanks very much

2. Advertisement
      coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT-Fibre-900
      Router: opnSense-I78550-Fanless
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Re: Adding a 2nd router

This is all pretty much covered in the using a third party router with sky thread, a good read through of that would help.
      Using a second router in this fashion will result in being behind a double nat that may cause problems for devices connected to it. Your Sky router can handle all the requests and traffic flow with ease, it's just wasting money to add a second router for this, it doesn't really achieve anything from a networking standpoint at all and isn't the reason for the tp-links network loss, and might make it worse due to natx2.
      If you want to stop things phoning home to china/restricting them to your lan/making iot lan etc then you are going to have to move to a fully third party setup with a router as sky routers aren't capable of advanced features like this, they are designed for the plug and play masses. Maybe the parental controls could limit wan access for certain devices, but I don't have a sky router to check available settings anymore.

Cptkremmen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 44
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Adding a 2nd router

Quote Originally Posted by coipu View Post
      This is all pretty much covered in the using a third party router with sky thread, a good read through of that would help.
      Using a second router in this fashion will result in being behind a double nat that may cause problems for devices connected to it. Your Sky router can handle all the requests and traffic flow with ease, it's just wasting money to add a second router for this, it doesn't really achieve anything from a networking standpoint at all and isn't the reason for the tp-links network loss, and might make it worse due to natx2.
      If you want to stop things phoning home to china/restricting them to your lan/making iot lan etc then you are going to have to move to a fully third party setup with a router as sky routers aren't capable of advanced features like this, they are designed for the plug and play masses. Maybe the parental controls could limit wan access for certain devices, but I don't have a sky router to check available settings anymore.
      Thanks for that. I think I will go along with your advice and leave things alone.