Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ASUS DSL-AC55U - Issues with lower downstream sync vs stock Sky router

This is a discussion on ASUS DSL-AC55U - Issues with lower downstream sync vs stock Sky router within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi all, Just took the plunge and got a 3rd party router when I found out that Sky have become ...

cacoe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC55U
      Sky TV: Fibre only
      Thanks

ASUS DSL-AC55U - Issues with lower downstream sync vs stock Sky router

Hi all,

Just took the plunge and got a 3rd party router when I found out that Sky have become more lax with 3rd party routers.

TBH, I have been out of the loop regarding routers and FTTP stuff for a long time on the basis that I haven't actually had a router I can tinker with forever now, it's refreshing, ready to learn again.

I sort of wish I'd got the DSL-AC66U now because this seems to be a really popular option and I think it'd be easier to find support.

Anyway to the point - my Sky router used to sync about about 55mbit down/9mbit up on VDSL2+ and my new ASUS router is only maxing at 40bmit down and (oddly) 12mbit upstream.

Just wondered if theres anything in my settings that's incorrect/needs changing? I've spent quite a while scouring random forum posts just to find the definitive correct settings to no avail. lots of dated stuff about PPPOE settings which aren't even required now (unless I'm missing something). I've already tried a few things to fix it and think I've already suffered from resyncing multiple times, DLM has switched me over the interleaved rather than fastpath as a result of the multiple changes. Hoping just to get the definitive right settings.

If it turns out everything is already set right, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why the speeds are so different.

Current stats and settings attached.

Would really really appreciate it if anyone can help
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASUS DSL-AC55U - Issues with lower downstream sync vs stock Sky router-screencapture-192-168-1-1-advanced-adsl-content-asp-2021-03-22-11_17_17.jpg   ASUS DSL-AC55U - Issues with lower downstream sync vs stock Sky router-screencapture-192-168-1-1-advanced-dsl-content-asp-2021-03-22-11_16_53.jpg   ASUS DSL-AC55U - Issues with lower downstream sync vs stock Sky router-screencapture-192-168-1-1-main-adslstatus-content-asp-2021-03-22-11_15_28.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Sotrm_ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: ASUS DSL-AC55U - Issues with lower downstream sync vs stock Sky router

can't see any of your screenshots, can you re-upload ?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sotrm_ For This Useful Post:

cacoe (22-03-21)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sotrm_ View Post
      can't see any of your screenshots, can you re-upload ?
      Sorry about that, assumed with them being posted as attachments that you'd be able to view full size but apparently not!

Lets try again

Stats-

WAN

DSL

Exchange:
      Thanks

my setup on AC68U is different, but cant see anything major different... have you tried updatign DSL firmware ?

- - - Updated - - -

on AC68U i get better DSL sync than Sky's SR102.

down 65mbps
      up 19.9mbps

Exchange:
      Thanks

current firmware is latest (as per the checker and Asus site) - assuming you're having no problems, would you mind posting screenshots of your settings pages please? I'll sit and compare after work, might be helpful if you don't mind

I understand that different versions of ASUS products will have some different options, I belive the main ones should be there on both versions though. I was hoping to find somone else who'd posted such screenshots. Well I did in fact but they're from really ancient firmwares from 2014 and are waaaaay different, not just a bit :/

There also seems to be some contradicting info out there, one user saying profile 17a required, someone else saying profile 30a (both work, which is right and if they both work correctly is another matter), one of the pitfalls of using a 3rd party router with sky, seems like there aren't any official or definintive answers.

Exchange:
      Thanks

majority of posts are out of date...

with AC68U - did ot hve to do the wireshark password extraction nonsense. all you do in setup is select UK and Sky fibre..
      it
      my only issue was this weekend when i upgraded firmware and it broke, i reverted back and now all Ok
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASUS DSL-AC55U - Issues with lower downstream sync vs stock Sky router-wan.jpg   ASUS DSL-AC55U - Issues with lower downstream sync vs stock Sky router-wan2.jpg   ASUS DSL-AC55U - Issues with lower downstream sync vs stock Sky router-dsl2.jpg   ASUS DSL-AC55U - Issues with lower downstream sync vs stock Sky router-dsl.jpg  

Exchange:
      Thanks

Dang, me trying to trouble shoot the problem with multiple reconnects may have adversly affected DLM because even the stock router is syncing at a lower speed now. Wonder how long this should take to correct itself? Can't see that happening though, I've started getting CRC errors now, can't varify if thats happening on both the Sky and ASUS router though,seeing as Sky doesn't let you see that info :/