Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Netgear Nighthawk

This is a discussion on Netgear Nighthawk within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi I have a netgear nighthawk (6700) which has the modem built in. I recently had sky fibre activated (3 ...

Nismoair is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Netgear Nighthawk

Hi

I have a netgear nighthawk (6700) which has the modem built in. I recently had sky fibre activated (3 days ago) and replaced the new sky q hub router with this new one from netgear.

Upon connecting the netgear router, I initially had circa 36Mbps which was what I was getting consistently with the sky q hub (albeit for only a few days since activation). However, the download speed has significantly dropped to around 7mbps and won't move above that figure much. Actual downloads are extremely slow too and this is consistent.

I know that there is a 10 day period following activation which can see things fluctuate in terms of speed, however I've never known it to be this bad.

Is this an issue with compatability with the netgear router as a dsl modem? I've done the client I'D set up and kept the same format of username etc but not sure why my speed seems to be held back.

Thanks for any help!

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 20.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: Netgear Nighthawk

Have you tried using the supplied Sky modem and seeing if things recover?

The Netgear modems are not known for having stability issues unlike the Asus DSL-AC68, but I would try the Sky one for a week and see what happens.

There is one other thing, constant re-booting or disconnection of the device will more than likely cause the DSLAM to intervene and reduce your sync as it sees it as a fault, you then have to wait for the DSLAM to relent and increase your rate again, that can take a while; this is one of the reasons for using a separate modem and router.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to marjohn56 For This Useful Post:

Nismoair (11-12-16)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks, that's really helpful.

I got to the point where I've returned the router, regrettably. I would consider rebuying a similar set up if I can figure out the best way. Main reasons for wanting to ditch the sky q hub is lack of ether net ports and wanting greater control of devices and traffic, vpn.

You mentioned separate router and modem. What would you recommend? Keep the sky hub as a modem and connect to a more capable router via ethernet (based on above requirements)?

Thanks

You cannot use the Sky hub in modem only mode, life would have been made much easier for many if Sky had allowed that.

As for the best route to take, the most popular method is using an Openreach modem, but try to find out what type of Openreach cabinet you are supplied from, whether it's Huawei or ECI and get the matching openreach modem. There is debate on whether it makes a difference, my own opinion says matching is always best.

Once you have the modem then there are several paths to choose, a popular choice is the ASUS AC-RT68, you will need to flash it with open firmware such as Merlin so you can connect to Sky using the required Option61 string, but it's fairly easy to do and no great knowledge is required, it's also has damn good WiFi thrown in.

If you want ultra control then go down the path of pfSense ( free software ) and something to run it on - or similar, far more complex and you will need to add a WiFi access point into the mix, although you can buy something like a PCEngines APU to run pfSense on and fit a wifi card, personally I prefer separate WiFi access points as I can put them where I need them, which in my case is not next to the router. Note, the APU devices only have three NIC's - one being WAN and I only use one of the others as a LAN port as I feed that into an eight port switch.

Research is the key, do not go and buy something and then regret it, do your research and read a lot. There is a lot of information and experience on this forum, use it, it can save you a lot of grief and expense.
      coipu likes this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to marjohn56 For This Useful Post:

Nismoair (12-12-16)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks and fair comments around research. I went for the linksys 3200 router and read that it could be connected to the Sky q hub.

If I went for the Openreach modem I assume I need to set that up like any other third party modem (option 61, same username format etc?) sorry for the detailed question, I couldnt seem to find the answer to this.

Again, help very much appreciated

Thanks

Connecting to the sky q hub would only be as a DMZ device, you would end up with a double NAT. As I said before, none of the sky routers support modem only mode. It's not the modem that does the option61, it's the router. In a simple sense, the modem just converts VDSL to Ethernet.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to marjohn56 For This Useful Post:

Nismoair (12-12-16)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks. I'm thinking of the NETGEAR DM200 as a modem only (seems to be more widely available and good price point) linked to the linksys. I've started a separate post under Ask For Help for this setup as appreciate that this is becoming more suited to this topic. Hopefully it will help others with this router.

Thanks

Just get an openreach modem off eBay, they are cheap and work as well as any other modem you'll pay more for. They were standard issue on all VDSL connections for years. Get an unlocked Huawei one for stats purposes.
      Last edited by marjohn56; 12-12-16 at 09:14 PM.

Thanks

Just looked at the Netgear, it is a single port modem/router, yes it can be run in modem only mode but then you'll still need to make the Linksys support option61;

There is one way of doing it though, you could just plug the output of the netgear into one of the Lynksys lan ports, turn off all dhcp on the Lynksys and just use it a s a WiFi access point, bit expensive and a waste to do that though.
      Last edited by marjohn56; 12-12-16 at 09:37 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to marjohn56 For This Useful Post:

Nismoair (12-12-16)

happy12345 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01935
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

hi i know its not in the right place and sorry for this but i have just purchased a netgear nighthawk X8 AC5300 R8500 and im thinking of purchasing a draytek vigor 130 modem to go with it so my question is how can i get this netgear nighthawk X8 and vigor 130 to work with sky i have looked in the router list and the said router is listed but i can not find any instructions to set up with sky so if any one can help i would be very much appreciated and a massive thank you in advance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast