Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ADSL Newbie where do I start with 2504N

This is a discussion on ADSL Newbie where do I start with 2504N within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi all, So I personally have always kept with virgin because of the speeds but my parents are reluctant to ...

davebruno is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

ADSL Newbie where do I start with 2504N

Hi all, So I personally have always kept with virgin because of the speeds but my parents are reluctant to have new wiring put in and are on a terrible 2.4 down 0.8 up from sky connection, fine for them but my brothers have recently moved home from uni and need something decent for gaming (PS4).

While they wont change provider they are happy for me to have a go at making it bearable, for the most part when no one is home they get a playable connection, once people start coming home/peak times they get terrible lag.

I have purchased a powerline wifi adapter so they can get an 1 Ethernet and a closer upstairs wifi (two consoles) to hopefully improve but I have just bought a 2504N router as I have read about QoS and SNR tweaking being possible, however I after looking at the 'sky router tool' thread all the posts appear to be old and regarding an old router.

I just want pointing in the direction of any guides as I cannot find anything relevant to this router/recent apart from how to flash it, which I should be fine doing.

1. Any links to guides on SNR basics (how to check for errors ect and how to do it on 2504N) - I know nothing about SNR and just dont want to make it unstable!

2. Any links to guides on how to use QoS for this router with custom firmware.

Also if anyone knows if the same power wire will work from the 2304N on the 2504N that would be great (save me rewiring)..

Thanks for any guidance!

Dave

2. Advertisement
      davebruno is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: ADSL Newbie where do I start with 2504N

Quote Originally Posted by davebruno View Post
      Hi all, So I personally have always kept with virgin because of the speeds but my parents are reluctant to have new wiring put in and are on a terrible 2.4 down 0.8 up from sky connection, fine for them but my brothers have recently moved home from uni and need something decent for gaming (PS4).

While they wont change provider they are happy for me to have a go at making it bearable, for the most part when no one is home they get a playable connection, once people start coming home/peak times they get terrible lag.

I have purchased a powerline wifi adapter so they can get an 1 Ethernet and a closer upstairs wifi (two consoles) to hopefully improve but I have just bought a 2504N router as I have read about QoS and SNR tweaking being possible, however I after looking at the 'sky router tool' thread all the posts appear to be old and regarding an old router.

I just want pointing in the direction of any guides as I cannot find anything relevant to this router/recent apart from how to flash it, which I should be fine doing.

1. Any links to guides on SNR basics (how to check for errors ect and how to do it on 2504N) - I know nothing about SNR and just dont want to make it unstable!

2. Any links to guides on how to use QoS for this router with custom firmware.

Also if anyone knows if the same power wire will work from the 2304N on the 2504N that would be great (save me rewiring)..

Thanks for any guidance!

Dave
      After further research and some trial and error im good with SNR but QoS has me.baffled. Could someone tell me if its possible to do the sort of QoS I'm attempting with this router (basically give priority to a certain local ip) thanks!

BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: ADSL Newbie where do I start with 2504N

Nothing you do with the router is going to improve the external connection (much) - and it sounds as though that is the problem.
      I can get terrific superfast connections between machines in the house, but nothing short of moving house is going to improve the external connection.