Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Recommended alternative router to Sky Hub

This is a discussion on Recommended alternative router to Sky Hub within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi, I have a Windows 2012 Server at home which I use for various services... PPTP VPN, Plex Server, File ...

Kontol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Westbourne
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Recommended alternative router to Sky Hub

Hi,

I have a Windows 2012 Server at home which I use for various services... PPTP VPN, Plex Server, File Server, SFTP etc using Port Forwarding for external access but I want to change up from PPTP to a secure VPN using IPSEC however the Sky Hub doesn't support the passing of IP Protocol 50 whcih is required.

I've looked at the Billion routers but they are pretty pricy... are they worth the money?

I have Sky Fibre with a BT Openreach box too.

Can you recommend some alternative routers that I can use instead of the Sky Hub? I'll also be ordering Sky Q very soon, can I continue to use a 3rd Party Router with this setup and what will the Sky Engineer say when he turns up to configure Sky Q and finds a 3rd Party router there?

Many thanks

Jon

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: London
      Broadband ISP: Community Fibre
      Router: Opnsense 22.1.b*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: Recommended alternative router to Sky Hub

There are a couple of routers around that will do IPSEC, The Draytek 2860 comes to mind, but it's expensive, the Billion routers you mention are very good, and less expensive than the Drayteks. There is a third option which is pfSense, you'll need to build your own but it's pretty easy to do that. It's far more flexible than either the Draytek or Billion but you will need the OR Modem.

I would imagine the Sky engineer will ask if you REALLY want to fit the Q Router, it will almost certainly have the same blocks as the existing Sky routers.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------