Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Rt-n66u driving me to pinnacle of despair!

This is a discussion on Rt-n66u driving me to pinnacle of despair! within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Good morning guys and girls, yesterday i brought a lovely asus dark knight router having finally had enough of skys ...

Lerkio123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sr102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Rt-n66u driving me to pinnacle of despair!

Good morning guys and girls,

yesterday i brought a lovely asus dark knight router having finally had enough of skys sr102.. After reading a few forums and reviews it all seemed quite straightforward to get working with sky fibre 40mb..

Right well i got the username and password easilly enough using wireshark (this was the bit i expected there to be hassle) turns out its quite easy.

i then downloaded the firmware from merlin (which was a zip file with alot of different firmwares from varying dates) i installed the newest thinking it should be the most "developed".. I have set it to obtain ip address.. Set manual.. Entered the username and password and just cannot get a connection. I am hearing people are using modens with this router??.. I am not! I did think the rt-n66u had a adsl2+ inbuilt am i wrong and made a terrible mistake buying this?

any help much appreciated

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Rt-n66u driving me to pinnacle of despair!

I did think the rt-n66u had a adsl2+ inbuilt am i wrong and made a terrible mistake buying this?
      I'm afraid you have. Asus routers with built in modems, both ADSL and VDSL are prefixed with DSL. Those with an RT prefix do not have built in modems. You will have to buy a modem or exchange your RT-n88u for one of these - ASUS DSL-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N 900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Gigabit Router (Up to 100 Mbps Downstream/Upstream, VDSL/2, ADSL2/2+, Annex A/B/J/M, IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE, 802.11a/b/g/n): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Lerkio123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sr102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply mate.. And you are right i had been reading about a dsl-n66 and then bought a rt-n66u by mistake but i have set the asud to ap mode connected it by cable to the sky hub reserved the ip address on the sky hub for it and set the dmz on the hub to the same ip address.. Switch the wifi off on the hub and i think thats as close to modem only mode you can be with the hub... Im not getting 36mb download speed over wifi so although there was alot of stress involved it was worth it in the end!

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I'm afraid you have. Asus routers with built in modems, both ADSL and VDSL are prefixed with DSL. Those with an RT prefix do not have built in modems. You will have to buy a modem or exchange your RT-n88u for one of these - ASUS DSL-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N 900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Gigabit Router (Up to 100 Mbps Downstream/Upstream, VDSL/2, ADSL2/2+, Annex A/B/J/M, IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE, 802.11a/b/g/n): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
      - - - Updated - - -

I am getting 36mb over wifi even!.. Damn autocorrect!

chrcol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leics Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: 8800nl(bridge) + pfSense 2.4 N3150 unit + asus ac68 as WAP
      Sky TV: FreeSAT
      Thanks

actually you not made a mistake the asus vdsl devices are a disaster, very unstable on the openreach network.

buy a cheap hg612 as a modem to pop in front of it, and you good to go.