Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree2Likes
    • 2 Post By bubblegun

Do Sky BB passwords change?

This is a discussion on Do Sky BB passwords change? within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Long story short, my mum's Netgear 834 v1 router seems to have died. I advised her to phone sky to ...

greghunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Do Sky BB passwords change?

Long story short, my mum's Netgear 834 v1 router seems to have died. I advised her to phone sky to get a replacement (expecting it to be free). She stumped up the 70 odd quid they wanted and is waiting for it to arrive. In the meantime I realised I can just buy a new router for 30 and set that up.

Now then, will her login details have changed since she ordered a new router, or will it be possible to use the same login and password from the original router. Also I suspect the original router may be completely dead, so do I just generate the login details from its MAC address, or do sky base the login on the MAC of the connected device? Will sky have changed the login details to that of the new device?

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Do Sky BB passwords change?

Hi Greg and welcome to the forum.
      The login details are specific to the Sky router/hub and as you correctly state are derived from the MAC address. Having said that if you use a 3rd party router you still have to use login details based on the MAC of the Sky supplied equipment not that of the connected device.

As the old router is dead you can use its credentials to login to Sky's radius server.
      Sky's server will not allow two devices to login using the same username and password.
      If you use the new hub being supplied it will login using details based on its own MAC address.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Do Sky BB passwords change?

Quote Originally Posted by greghunt View Post
      Long story short, my mum's Netgear 834 v1 router seems to have died. I advised her to phone sky to get a replacement (expecting it to be free). She stumped up the 70 odd quid they wanted and is waiting for it to arrive. In the meantime I realised I can just buy a new router for 30 and set that up.
      ****This is an off-topic post but I think you have been shafted by "Sky" and since this is an unofficial forum I'm not going to support it!!!****

Given your router model, I'd (rightly/wrongly) assume you've had Sky broadband since 2007 or early 2008 (ie. Sky broadband early adopter). Given that Sky Hub's are free to new customers, I'd get very annoyed at the cost to continue your (paid for) service, personally I think it is shocking that Sky charge this for their most loyal customers!

You won't be in a contract for your broadband and phone so I would suggest you call and discuss what you pay for them for the next 12 months , given that you just paid ~71 for a new router.
      If you have Sky Sports then you can get free broadband for 24 Months (2 years) as long as you have Sky Sports (18 months telephone and broadband contract).
      You might also be able to negotiate a cheaper deal for the next 12 months (on top of the sports offer) to save the cost of your router (or close to it) over then next 12 months.
      moleman and ANDARIAL like this.