Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

2304n compared to 2504n and new Sky Hubs - Advice

This is a discussion on 2304n compared to 2504n and new Sky Hubs - Advice within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi, I currently have the Sagem 2304n and to be honest, it's done it's job fine for the three years ...

robwlv is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

2304n compared to 2504n and new Sky Hubs - Advice

Hi,

I currently have the Sagem 2304n and to be honest, it's done it's job fine for the three years I've had it. The UI can be a bit slow, but considering I don't change much on it very often, it doesn't bother me. The ADSL connection has been reliable and fast, only issue is the WiFi signal is not the best and I'm currently having to use an extender.

I was wondering if it's worth me haggling for a new router as part of my contract renewal and if so, is it best to go for the 2504n or the Sky Hub (as I've read the Sky hub actually isn't all it's cracked up to be) so maybe the 2504n is currently more reliable because it is more mature and has had all the bugs ironed out.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: 2304n compared to 2504n and new Sky Hubs - Advice

I believe the only router you will be offered/can get from Sky will be the SR102. Recently they have got pretty tough on replacement routers. If you ask for one they will want to charge you the best part of 70 plus delivery. As you aren't in contract they can probably be persuaded to lower the cost but apparently, not below 20 and you'll have to sign up for another year for that. You may get a better discount off TV/phone line rental or BB than you will off the router.

The SR102 has decidedly average wi-fi and if that's an issue you can certainly do better and for much the same cost as a full price SR102.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

As Saturday says, you might wish to consider looking for a better router elsewhere. What to go for depends on whether you intend to upgrade to a Sky Fibre product at some stage soon.

Spec wise the differences between the Sagem 2304n, Sagem 2504N, Sky Hub SR101 & Sky Hub SR102 are:

• 2304n WiFi is limited to 72mbps over a single channel
      • 2504n increased the WiFi to 144mbps but has a few issues remembering any changes to the settings if it isn't connected to the Internet at the time. Being a proper WiFi N router it also is the 1st Sky router with a WPS button. Can be used via a BTO Modem on a Sky Fibre connection
      • SR101 same specs as the 2504n, but made by Sky. GUI more reliable than the 2304n and 2504n but still only has 100mb Ethernet ports, 144mbps WiFi & ADSL Modem
      • SR102 identical to the SR101 but in black and with a VDSL Modem instead. This allows it to work on either Sky's ADSL products or FTTC/VDSL products without the BTO Modem

Depending on what you have you may wish to look for a router that supports WiFi speeds 300mbps or greater and perhaps on the 5GHz band too. You may also want to consider 1Gbit Ethernet too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

robwlv is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I won't be upgrading to fibre, so I may look at using my own router then and piggy backing it off the 2304n that I have. I'm more fussed about the WiFi coverage and quality of the signal than the N speeds themselves. My broadband is only 15Mb and I don't have the need for the bandwidth internally on my network, so N speeds and Gigabit ports aren't a biggie for me as my ADSL will always be the limiting factor.

I have a really good old Buffalo router I used to use on Virgin, which I hadn't thought of piggy backing onto the Sky router before (not sure why). But they may well be my best option.

I did get my Compex AP working as a WDS extender and although it works great, I would prefer to just have one WiFi broadcasting around my house. Surprisingly, the WDS extender whilst reducing the bandwidth available, it didn't halve it like I read it would. It was more like a 30% reduction. So still plenty for browsing and streaming music, etc.

I think I'll steer away from anymore Sky routers then and just piggy back off devil I know router that is the 2304n. I'll then use my contract renewal to bargain for a cut down on my broadband or something else.

Thanks for the help both of you.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

The Sagem 2304n's coverage is not as good as any of the later routers.

Whilst it's signal strength is better than a WiFi g router, a proper WiFi n router has a much better coverage.

As you are looking for your own non-Sky router there are plenty of options available. Remember that each will proudly boast about how it is better than the others but when it comes down to it, it really depends on the environment that you are using it in and what you do.

I appreciate that speed might not be important today, but if your budget allows for it do consider what you may be doing in a couple of years time.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms