Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Creating a wireless bridge with two Sky F@ST2504n Routers

This is a discussion on Creating a wireless bridge with two Sky F@ST2504n Routers within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Can anyone help me please? I am a new Sky customers and I have two new Sky routers (F@ST2504n) which ...

Cookero is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Creating a wireless bridge with two Sky F@ST2504n Routers

Can anyone help me please?

I am a new Sky customers and I have two new Sky routers (F@ST2504n) which I need to setup as a wireless bridge as I have an office upstairs and one of the routers setup downstairs.

My company laptop has wireless disabled so I have to be 'hardwired' to the router. So long story short I would like my router downstairs (which is the router which is 'live') to connect wirelessly to the one the 2nd router which I can then setup in the office and then connect my laptop to that.

I have attached the details of my routers below.

Manufacturer Sagemcom
      Model Number F@ST2504n
      Firmware Version 5.23.1a4N
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pD030n.d23b

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max/superfast
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Creating a wireless bridge with two Sky F@ST2504n Routers

you cant wireless bridge the router, the 2 router need to be connected either by Ethernet or by homeplugs to their respective Ethernet ports and then switch off dhcp on other router

Cookero is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tenar View Post
      you cant wireless bridge the router, the 2 router need to be connected either by Ethernet or by homeplugs to their respective Ethernet ports and then switch off dhcp on other router
      Many thanks Tenar.

Is there a way to set it up with a netgear dgn1000? I also have one of those.

Bit annoying as I have 3 routers and dont want to have to buy homeplugs or run cat 5.

Thanks again

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Those routers which do support Wireless Bridging tend to be limited to WiFi g speeds and WEP Encryption, both of which will rapidly become a problem for most people. You can disable the encryption to increase the connection speed to their respective maximum, but this results in an insecure network and is even less recommended than WEP.

You may wish to search for any custom firmwares. There is likely to be one available for the Netgear DGN1000, but this isn't something I have looked into.

tenar has mentioned the best solutions, although there are others. Personally my favourite option, where it is possible, would be to fit a faceplate and run a Cat 5e cable behind the wall, through the loft, and back down to the 2nd room to another faceplate. You could have a Network Switch in the loft, so that you could actually feed down to more than one room if you wanted as well.

By using Cat 5e your network would be able to grow and support connections up to 1Gbit at a later date without too many issues.

It might help to use Shielded cable, but this needs to be properly earthed at each end.

HomePlugs are good and very popular. They have the added advantage that they are easy to set up and flexible in where you locate them. They do benefit from good quality electrical wiring and some members have reported that they can struggle when you push their connection speeds.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

About the cheapest way of extending the wireless if you are really set on it, is one of these-
      TP-Link TL-WA730RE 150MBPS Wireless Lite N Range Extender, Atheros, 1T1R, 2.4GHz: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

You may have to update the firmware for it to work properly, but it gets very good reports.

I agree that homeplugs/ethernet cable is the best solution.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.