Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Trying to connect Xbox to 2nd router/accesspoint using powerline plugs - Problems!!!

This is a discussion on Trying to connect Xbox to 2nd router/accesspoint using powerline plugs - Problems!!! within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi, I would be grateful for any help on this as I have tried for days without success. My problem ...

Debicj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01978
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Trying to connect Xbox to 2nd router/accesspoint using powerline plugs - Problems!!!

Hi, I would be grateful for any help on this as I have tried for days without success.

My problem is that my son will not turn off his xbox at night. To get around this I want to connect the Xbox to an old netgear router that I am using as an access point to extend wireless coverage, so that I can use the parental controls on the netgear as the ones in the Sky Sagem are not adequate. Also, I can disconnect the Netgear at a certain time if necessary and if this is the only way the xbox can connect it will have to go offline then!

Current set up is : Sky Sagem router wired to powerline plug downstairs. Powerline plug in next room wired to Netgear access point.

This works fine and extends wireless coverage meaning that devices can connect wirelessly to whichever router provides best signal in the area.

The problem is that son insists xbox has to connect through a powerline plug not wirelessly. When the 2nd router and powerline are plugged in the Xbox wont connect. However, when the 2nd router and powerline plug are removed the Xbox connects perfectly via the powerline plug to the Sky router.

Any suggestions on how to get it working as I would like it to, with the Xbox only connecting via the powerline plugs to the 2nd router.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: Trying to connect Xbox to 2nd router/accesspoint using powerline plugs - Problems!!!

Various members have reported that the performance is poorer when connecting the Xbox (and PS3) via WiFi.

You could connect the Xbox via an Ethernet cable to the 2nd router.

Personally I would be inclined to lock the Xbox away for a week if he can't turn it off at night. Perhaps stick it in the car and take it to work if he is likely to force the location open when you aren't around.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Paul2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leamington Spa
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

My son won't turn his Xbox off I just remove the power pack or take the controllers. Sorted