Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

WOL over Internet - a working solution with my Sky Sagem Router.

This is a discussion on WOL over Internet - a working solution with my Sky Sagem Router. within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I've figured out a way to use WOL over the internet. I use an iphone but I think it will ...

petermenn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01695
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

WOL over Internet - a working solution with my Sky Sagem Router.

I've figured out a way to use WOL over the internet. I use an iphone but I think it will work with other phones that have a Telnet/SSH app.
      I bought a Buffalo WHR-G300NV2 wireless router for 22 from ebuyer and flashed it (easy to do) with the latest DD-WRT firmware. I then connected this to my SKY Sagem router. The Sky router remains connected to the phoneline and SKY box which keeps SKY happy and allows SKY anytime+ to work properly. My PCs and wireless devices connect to the new Buffalo router.
      You connect to the Buffalo router remotely via Telnet/SSH and the DD-WRT WOL tutorial tells you how to set this up. I use the 'Remoter' app to make the SSH connection and have a macro that sends the wake up instruction '/usr/sbin/wol -i 192.168.1.255 -7 PP AA:BB:CCD:EE:FF' (mac address of the PC). Works fine everytime.
      You need a static IP address for the Buffalo router and I use dyndns.org. The Buffalo router should be set to accept SSH connections. The SKY router should be set to have the Buffalo ip address in the DMZ. Your motherboard has to be set to accept WOL.
      Unfortunately it seems impossible to use port forwarding through 2 routers connected in series (this is written about elsewhere) so the standard VNC 5900 streamers don't seem to work. However I use the Splashtop streamer and app and it works perfectly. I can switch on and the remotely use my PC from anywhere.
      I don't have any previous router experience so hopefully anyone who is interested will be able to set this up as well. I presume it will work with any SKY router.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: WOL over Internet - a working solution with my Sky Sagem Router.

This is a Cable router.

If you set it's WAN IP address as static and on the Sky router, you should be able to set that IP Address in it's DMZ zone.

This should allow all port forwarding to work well.

Do turn the Sky router's WiFi off if you haven't already done so. This just reduces possible interference with you Buffalo router and closes a possible door for others to hack through.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Hi. It is set up like that but still doesn't work. I've tried all sorts. Says port 5900 can't be opened even though it is set to forward. I've looked on port forwarding websites and the conclusion seems to be that it can't be done through 2 routers. Luckily Splashtop works fine with this set up. Thanks. Peter.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

You mentioned that you are using DynDNS. Which router is configured to use the service?

I was successful in allowing a friend to view the hard drive connected to my Netgear router when it was configured in the same way as your Buffalo router.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Update - I reinstalled ultra VNC and can now use any of the the standard port 5900 streamers.