Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How to analyse DMT tool output ?

This is a discussion on How to analyse DMT tool output ? within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi, I've had a poor connection speed ( for my attenuation ) for a long time. I've done all the ...

AlexS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Draytek Vigor 130 + Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

How to analyse DMT tool output ?

Hi, I've had a poor connection speed ( for my attenuation ) for a long time.
      I've done all the usual tests, test socket on NTE5, other filters,cables etc.
      Because my line was bad, especially at night, Sky has capped me at 3072k downsync and put me on G.dmt mode.
      Line is Sky unlimited LLU, Pressac filtered faceplate, no extensions. According to Openreach, line is 3.809km long.
      There's no noise from corded phones plugged into NTE5 test socket and
      no buzzing from an AM radio tuned to 612khz. ( which I used to locate REIN last time I had a problem )
      I've swapped out my DG934G for a Dlink DSL-2640B with Dlink firmware so I could test the connection with the DMT tool that works with Broadcom chipsets.
      I'm really out of my depth trying to analyse the output though.
      The upstream frequencies look healthy, but the downstream looks a mess, especially the frequencies just above the upstream !
      Can anyone suggest what may be happening ? Could a "split-pair" or corrosion somewhere cause such a weird response or is it my old friend REIN interference again ?
      I've tested with the above Dlink and a Speedtouch ST546v6 with v6 firmware and got an almost identical output.
      Sky DG934G stats currently report :
      Sync/atten/nm
      Down : 2752 / 50 / 7
      Up : 800 / 29 / 11
      Output file attached :
      Many Thanks
      Alex
      dmt20101228_1143 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2. Advertisement
      nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: How to analyse DMT tool output ?

Hi Pal,

Can you elabarate a bit more on a bad connection for me please. What's actually happening is the connection dropping out at times, running slow at times etc etc. You also mention that the line is seems to be worse in the evening, what exactly is it doing in the evening. Come back with the info and should be able to help you out.

AlexS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Draytek Vigor 130 + Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: How to analyse DMT tool output ?

Quote Originally Posted by nige1983 View Post
      Hi Pal,

Can you elabarate a bit more on a bad connection for me please. What's actually happening is the connection dropping out at times, running slow at times etc etc. You also mention that the line is seems to be worse in the evening, what exactly is it doing in the evening. Come back with the info and should be able to help you out.
      Hi, My line originally used to connect at over 3mbps during the day, but the noise margin would drop into the negative at night causing a re-sync to a sub 3mbps speed.
      In an attempt to stabilise the connection Sky changed my broadband mode from ADSL2+ to G.dmt and capped my speed to 3072k.
      In the Summer the connection stayed at 3072k with the noise margin dropping at night but not enough to cause a re-sync.
      I've since lost around 500k downsync speed at all times.
      The DMT tool seems to indicate the signal is getting lost somewhere and although the line is relatively stable now, I don't understand why my downsync speed is so poor for my attenuation reading.
      The last Openreach engineer to visit said my line at the street cabinet a few hundred yards away was getting 4mbps but he didn't investigate the speed difference between there and my NTE5.

Thanks.