Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

A WOL Over Internet Solution - Sagem and Possibly Others

This is a discussion on A WOL Over Internet Solution - Sagem and Possibly Others within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi all, I’ve spent much of the past few weeks trying to crack the WOL issue and appear to have ...

Neil__C is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bedworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

A WOL Over Internet Solution - Sagem and Possibly Others

Hi all,

I’ve spent much of the past few weeks trying to crack the WOL issue and appear to have it sorted. I’m on Sky using a Sagem 2054. I think the steps I describe below should work on most routers. I flashed mine to Sagem standard 2404 whilst doing this but I think the process will still work on the standard Sky modem. I’m not an expert in these things and I’m unlikely to be able to help in peculiar situations but hopefully the bits below are clear.

A bit of background – I have one work PC and two media center HTPCs at home. I find I often need to get a file from the work PC or set a recording on the HTPCs when I’m away from home (preferably from my iphone). This has not been possible as I leave my machines in S3 standby and could never get WOL to work across the internet – until now!

I first tried a program mc-wol. This worked immediately but only over the lan. I tried external WOL utilities, such as depicus, but I could never get them to wake the PCs. I tried port forwarding the port used by the external WOL program to the router broadcast address but it wouldn’t accept 192.168.0.255. I then forwarded the port to one of the PCs I want to wake. It worked …. For about 8 mins Thereafter, the router arp cache is flushed and there is no longer a link between the ip address given in the port forward and the relevant MAC address of the PC I wish to wake.

I decided to download a very small program, TeraTerm, and telnet into the router to have a look. The list of commands included ‘arp’ – using ‘arp show’ showed that the routes were recognised for all PCs when they were on, with a flag of 0x2. When one went to standby, the flag changed to 0x0 for a few minutes then the entry disappeared. Using ‘arp add 192.168.0.2 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX’ ,where the XX are the MAC address of the PC, the arp entry went back in, even though the PC was in standby, this time with a flag of 0x6. This entry stayed in the table permanently (until the router was rebooted). When the entry was there, WOL from the internet worked perfectly.

I decided to do the following:
      1. Set up all PCs to be woken on magic packet and operate in S3 standby.
      2. 2. Set each PC to have a fixed ip in Network Properties. I have used 192.168.0.2, 3 and 4.
      3. Set up a port forward for ports 8, 9 and 10 (could choose others) to the individual ip addresses of each of the PCs I wish to wake (192.168.0.2, 3 and 4 in my case).
      4. Use DynDNS to give the router a name and enter these details in the router.
      5. Write a script for TeraTerm and call it with a shortcut. Install teraterm on each PC and place the shortcut in each of the PCs startup folders. The script does an ‘arp add …’ for each of the ip and MAC addresses of my three PCs. This means that even if I have to restart my router, the very next PC to boot resets the static mappings discussed above and I don’t have to remember or do anything at all. I’ve included my shortcut and the script below.
      6. Using a web utility like depicus, call a WOL giving the required MAC address, port (see 3 above) and host name (see 4 above). The required PC will wake!
      7. Even better, download the iPhone app inet WOL (there are others), enter the same details and then you’ll be able to wake the chosen PC with a simple click of a button without having to remember MAC addresses etc.
      8. If you’re on the iPhone, get LogMeIn Ignition, it’s perfect for remote controlling the PCs once you’ve woken them as above.

This has been working perfectly for days now. I have reliable WOL from over the internet and, once setup, I don’t need to do anything to keep it working. There’s probably better methods out there but I really couldn’t find anything that would let me do it with the router I have. Assuming other routers have similar arp commands, this should work on them also.

Regards

Shortcut Target:
      "C:\Program Files\TTERMPRO\ttermpro.exe" /M="D:\Setup and Drivers\TeraTerm\_Inst\SetARP" where the last part is the path and filename of your teraterm ttl script file (without the .ttl extension)

Script Contents:
      connect '192.168.0.1:23'
      UsernamePrompt = 'Login:'
      Username = 'admin'
      PasswordPrompt = 'Password:'
      Password = 'yourpassword-probably just sky'
      wait UsernamePrompt
      sendln Username
      wait PasswordPrompt
      sendln Password
      sendln 'arp add 192.168.0.3 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:X1’
      sendln
      sendln 'arp add 192.168.0.4 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:X2’
      sendln
      sendln 'arp add 192.168.0.2 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:X3’
      sendln
      sendln 'logout'

2. Advertisement
      pheonixsingh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: A WOL Over Internet Solution - Sagem and Possibly Others

Hi there mate,

Great tutorial, ive been trying to get wol over wan to work for ages.

Im just trying to follow your tutorial but Ive never telnet'ed into my router, could you by any chance post some steps on how to do it? also on how to create the shortcut target

the pc im wanting to wake is on 192.168.0.101

Any help would be much appreciated.

Frank121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the WOL guide, I really hope I can get it working now!

I need to flash my sky sagem router to a 2404 in order to enable Telent access. I found the guide but cannot find the original and modified firmwares:

Latest Sagem F@ST2404 firmware
      Modified version of the 1.1sky firmware

Any idea where I can get them from, they seem to have been removed from these forums

Hope you can help.

Thanks,
      Frank

jamjah is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0238063
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Thanks

Has anyone tried this on the original firmware?
      Also what version of TeraTerm are you using?

Frank121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi,

You can't use the original firmware because telnet is not supported I had to flash the modified firmware first.

Kind Regards,
      Frank

sa321 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0203
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

any way to telnet into 2504n?