Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Linksys WAG54GX2 use

This is a discussion on Linksys WAG54GX2 use within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; It's ADSL2+ compatible and I have had issues around the supplied netgear router since day zero dropping packets ( even ...

stevem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSCHES
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Linksys WAG54GX2 use

It's ADSL2+ compatible and I have had issues around the supplied netgear router since day zero dropping packets ( even on the local lan ) after a variable amount of time.

While I progressed the issue through the proper channels I decided to use this router. The password was extracted in the normal manner and it connected first time. The router has been up and stable since then.

Since Linksys' 1.00.01 firmware doesn't helpfully show the line stats I have enabled telnet access and was surprised to find it is the same kernel as the DG834GT...

BusyBox v1.00 (2005.06.09-02:36+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
      Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# adslctl info --stats
      adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 766 Kbps, Downstream rate = 153
      23 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 8.0 12.2
      Attn(dB): 23.5 9.4
      Pwr(dBm): 23.4 0.0
      Max(Kbps): 18248 24896
      Rate (Kbps): 15323 766

SNR varies as expected but never enough to cause dropouts. I'm using MRTG to graph it over time , but might have to go to rrd as starting the Y axis from 0 means the granularity isn't there.

2. Advertisement
      Jose Cardoso Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Quote Originally Posted by stevem View Post
      Since Linksys' 1.00.01 firmware doesn't helpfully show the line stats I have enabled telnet access and was surprised to find it is the same kernel as the DG834GT...
      It uses the same AR7 chip as the NETGEAR DG834GT and the Belkin 7633 so it's not too surprising.

You can found more technical info over at the OpenWRT site based on their work trying to get that open firmware installed on these routers.

stevem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSCHES
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have the 1.0.03c beta firmware to hand ... want to get my Netgear back in operation first though as 2 bricks would be Very Bad(tm)

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Jose Cardoso View Post
      It uses the same AR7 chip as the NETGEAR DG834GT and the Belkin 7633 so it's not too surprising.
      The DG834 and DG834Gs use the AR7, but for the GT model I believe that they changed it to the BCM6348?
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Jose Cardoso Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Quote Originally Posted by mossywell View Post
      The DG834 and DG834Gs use the AR7, but for the GT model I believe that they changed it to the BCM6348?
      Sorry, that's correct. I was referring to various bits of code compiled for the AR7 being MIPS compatible with the BCM6348. When you have a killer migraine you don't think too straight (bloody thing is still haunting me this morning).

Having said that, individuals over at OpenWRT are still struggling with finding cross-compile tools to correctly compile for the BCM6348.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      When you have a killer migraine you don't think too straight (bloody thing is still haunting me this morning).
      Put the shades on, take paracetamol, go back to bed and stop chundering on your keyboard, man!

Having said that, individuals over at OpenWRT are still struggling with finding cross-compile tools to correctly compile for the BCM6348.
      Pity really given the reputation of this chip. I'm sure they'll nail it eventually and who knows - maybe we'll get a serial console port for it.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Jose Cardoso Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Quote Originally Posted by mossywell View Post
      Put the shades on, take paracetamol, go back to bed and stop chundering on your keyboard, man!
      I would have done but unfortunately I couldn't miss work today.

Pity really given the reputation of this chip. I'm sure they'll nail it eventually and who knows - maybe we'll get a serial console port for it.
      Ask and ye shall receive

http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=10810

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Fansastic! I won't need to worry about the effects of Sky's updates any longer.