Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Netgear DG934G firmware

This is a discussion on Netgear DG934G firmware within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Having unpacked it, I see that the actual image is dated 11.3.11, which is still very new. Hmm, looks like ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Netgear DG934G firmware

Having unpacked it, I see that the actual image is dated 11.3.11, which is still very new.

Hmm, looks like it's been modified to try to connect using IPoE first.
      Would this be to enable it for MER?
      Let's hope they leave the GT alone. Could be they want to phase them out altogether so all their routers comply with the 'corporate image'..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Just tried updating the firmware and had 2 attempts at V.02.03.21 and both went through the motions but it still ended up with the same firmware. Replaced the V with A as suggested by Fuzzy and it took. Incidentally, it is still showing as V on the status page, so I don't know what replacing it with A actually did.
      The availability of WPA2 is the only outward sign of the update. I will leave it on in place of my regular router for a couple of days and see if the update sticks.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Netgear DG934G firmware-capture1.jpg  

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Having unpacked it, I see that the actual image is dated 11.3.11, which is still very new.

Would this be to enable it for MER?
      From what I gathered from a little googling, MER is a variation of IPoE. (1483 bridge mode connection to the ISP, with the router performing NAT on the encapsulated packets, apparently).
      So yes, it would seem so.

Let's hope they leave the GT alone. Could be they want to phase them out altogether so all their routers comply with the 'corporate image'..
      I was wondering if that might be the case myself, if they are not planning on switch to MER on the easynet hardware, or moving everyone to the new msans, then as the GTs are getting old, it might make more sense to send out replacement routers to customers still using them on SVBN. But on the other hand, it shouldn't take that much to port the changes from the G firmware to the GT.

They really ought to implement wpa2 on the GT as apparently WPA-PSK is no longer that difficult to crack Amazon cloud can help hack WiFi networks: expert | Reuters

And while they're at it I'd suggest they do something to protect users who haven't changed their sky dg834gt's wifi network key, such as changing the Wireless LAN MAC addresses to something random, since all you need is the WLAN MAC (which the router's wifi broadcasts) to look up the router's default network key on the internet.
      Last edited by fuzzy logic; 01-04-11 at 05:48 PM.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Just tried updating the firmware and had 2 attempts at V.02.03.21 and both went through the motions but it still ended up with the same firmware. Replaced the V with A as suggested by Fuzzy and it took. Incidentally, it is still showing as V on the status page, so I don't know what replacing it with A actually did.
      The availability of WPA2 is the only outward sign of the update. I will leave it on in place of my regular router for a couple of days and see if the update sticks.
      Doesn't sound like what I suggested . What I meant was booting up a linux OS, downloading and unpacking the source (and the target.tar.gz image folder within) modifying the version number, which is in a file in the target image folder, then using "build.sh" to building a new image.

But, if you've got it to stick, I guess it doesn't matter how you did it

Thanks

Like Blush it reverted back to the old firmware. That was bad enough, but instead of doing it during the night when it was idle, it chose to do it at 11am when I was using it.

Back to my old faithful GT.

TomD

Useful Utilites

blush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy logic View Post
      Doesn't sound like what I suggested . What I meant was booting up a linux OS, downloading and unpacking the source (and the target.tar.gz image folder within) modifying the version number, which is in a file in the target image folder, then using "build.sh" to building a new image.

But, if you've got it to stick, I guess it doesn't matter how you did it
      I had no idea that modifying a firmware file could be so difficult

Had a look at the readme supplied with the firmware and I had a brain overload situation.

Shame the firmware does not stick as it was nice to have wpa2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12