Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using 2 sky routers - same network?

This is a discussion on Using 2 sky routers - same network? within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hello, I live in an 1850's terrace house with 18" walls & 3 floors. In the attic the signal levels ...

mattylad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCROSS
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Using 2 sky routers - same network?

Hello, I live in an 1850's terrace house with 18" walls & 3 floors.

In the attic the signal levels are quite poor so what I though I'd like to do is
      connect up a spare wireless router so that my daughter can use her WII & DS
      up there still connecting to the net & the rest of the network on the house.

What I'm unsure of is how to go about it?

I envisage needing to run a single cable from the router downstairs up there.
      I can then see that I use the upstairs one just as a wirreless router.

However, am I able to use both as DHCP servers or will I need to set the downstairs one with fixed IP's & the upstairs as DHCP?

OR should I set them to have different network names?

Puzzled?

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Using 2 sky routers - same network?

Right, before you run a network cable from downstairs to upstairs, it's probably easiest to set the two routers up while you're within reach of both at the same time. I'm afraid it's a bit fiddly, because both routers will be using the address 192.168.0.1 and you can't have two things using the same IP address on the same network, so that's needs to be fixed. Anyway, here's what you need to do:
      1. With just the downstairs router switched on, go to the router configuration pages at http://192.168.0.1 and click on the "Lan IP Setup" link
      2. In the "Use Router as DHCP Server" section, change the Starting IP address to 192.168.0.3 and click on the Apply button. This will free up an address that will be used for the upstairs router.
      3. Switch off the downstairs router, and plug the upstairs router into your PC using the yellow Ethernet cable supplied with the router. There's no need to plug this router into the telephone system, because all you want to do is reconfigure it
      4. Reboot your PC, so that it sets up your Ethernet connection to the router you've just plugged it into
      5. Go to the configuration pages on this router at http://192.168.0.1/, and select the LAN IP Setup page
      6. Change the IP address of the router (that's the first setting on the page) to 192.168.0.2. DON'T click the Apply button just yet
      7. Disable the DHCP facility on this router by unticking the "Use Router as DHCP Server" tickbox and now click on Apply. You won't get a reply from the router, because you've just changed its IP address
      8. Now to test the setup. Take the Ethernet cable from your PC and plug it into the downstairs router, so the two routers are connected using the Ethernet cable
      9. Reboot your PC and try connecting to the downstairs router on http://192.168.0.1. You should see the router configuration pages. Then try connecting to the upstairs router on http://192.168.0.2
      The key points are:
      • The two routers MUST have different IP addresses
      • Only the downstairs router should be running DHCP, because it's the router that has the broadband connection and so only it knows the correct network configuration to use that broadband connection. DHCP doesn't just tell a PC (or games console, for that matter) which IP address to use, it also tells the PC how to get to the Internet (by giving it a "default gateway" address)
      As for wirelss network names, personally, I think it's best to use different names and different channel numbers. You probably can get away with using the same ones, but it'll just make life more confusing for you.

Thanks

Thank you for the info.
      cheers.

wydchr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01924
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

James do the two routers have to be connected to each other with an ethernet cable or can they be coupled wirelessly??... thinking about it though if they could be wirelessly connected then that would probably negate the need for having two routers??

Can you plug each of the two routers into different phone sockets to get better wireless coverage around the house or is that just plain stupid

zc1
      zc1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Net: 10mb cable Virgin Media. TV: Sky+ and Sky m/room
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ and M/Room
      Thanks

Hi,

How about using Homeplugs (Powerline)
      See the following link for an intro HomePlug / PowerLine Scenarios
      Regards,
      Garry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wydchr View Post
      James do the two routers have to be connected to each other with an ethernet cable or can they be coupled wirelessly??... thinking about it though if they could be wirelessly connected then that would probably negate the need for having two routers??

Can you plug each of the two routers into different phone sockets to get better wireless coverage around the house or is that just plain stupid
      N0 they cannot be plugged into the phone sockets.

AFAIK yes they will both need to be wired together as yes it would negate the need for 2 if the wireless signal worked that far.

cheers,
      Matty

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Have a look here. Universal Wireless Repeater - DD-WRT Wiki

maybe a different router and firmware but might give you a pointer to what can be done.

I will be using my trusty old Linksys router using this method to act as a repeater as I live in a huge Victorian 3 storey house, and the signal is a bit dodgy in the extreme outer limits of the house and garden.

I don't know anything about it as I only got this infor from asking on a Linksys forum.

You can also look here>> dd-wrt repeater - Căutare Google

May give you some sources of info and advice.

dog-man

wydchr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01924
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info guys, both solutions sound interesting and I'll have a look at both of the options...

cheers,
      David.

Shuflie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fortwilliam
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Here's a tip if you can't get this to work, don't connect your Sky router to the WAN port of your second router, plug it into the LAN side. Had me pulling my hair out for ages before I figured it out.
      Edit: Should probably mention my second router wasn't an ADSL one, so its WAN port is an ethernet type.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Here's a tip, don't bother posting to threads that are over 3 years old.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast