Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sppedtouch 585v6

This is a discussion on Sppedtouch 585v6 within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi I dont know if anyone can help I can get my speedtouch to connect but there seems to be ...

chippysx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01403
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sppedtouch 585v6

Hi
      I dont know if anyone can help
      I can get my speedtouch to connect but there seems to be some kind of DNS issue, when i test conection it fails at secondary DNS.

I really want to use this as I have to keep resetting the sky router as it locks up and will not allow any browsing. I have been onto support and they have escalated to tier3 waiting for them to call.... but will they??

Many thanks

chippy

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Sppedtouch 585v6

they will, until they find out ur not using the Sky router and tell u to jog on!!

while ur waiting try these DNS servers instead of the dodgy Sky ones: -

primary: - 208.67.222.222
      secondary: - 208.67.220.220

should work a lot better
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

djkemp1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

what do they actually do, the dns's that is? as i too am using this router and have the same dns error, but it connects fine to the internet? would it sync higher if i used these other dns servers??

who do these other servers belong to?

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Everything on the Internet has a numerical address, expressed as four number between 0 and 255, separated by dots. For example, the computer that provides the Sky User Forum has the address 85.10.136.226

Now the Internet wouldn't be very easy to use if you had to remember all these numbers, so there's a system called DNS which translates meaningful names (correctly referred to as domain names) like www.skyuser.co.uk into its numerical equivalent 85.10.136.226

There are special machines on the Internet, called DNS servers, whose job is to provide the DNS service, and your PC needs to know the numerical address of at least one DNS server, in order to be able to translate domain names like www.skyuser.co.uk. To make things easier for home broadband, normally the PCs pass all their DNS requests to the router which simply relays the request to one of the two DNS servers which Sky specifies at the time your router connects to the Internet.

The problem is, however, that the two DNS servers which Sky tells your router to use aren't very good. They're a bit slow, and sometimes they're so slow, your PC gives up waiting for an answer and says that the page you were trying to access just isn't available. You can get around the problem, however, by giving your PC or your router the numerical addresses of two alternative DNS servers, such as the ones which IAmNotTheEnemy gave you in his message above. Those servers are run by an organisation called OpenDNS and seem to be quite a bit faster than the ones which Sky provides.

The OpenDNS servers are freely available for anyone to use. They're funded by unobtrusive advertising. Say you were looking for the easyJet web page, and rather than typing www.easyjet.com into the address field of your browser, you just typed easyJet, OpenDNS realises that that isn't a proper domain name, but rather than just returning an error, it gives you a page with links relating to easyJet. If you click on one of those links, OpenDNS get paid a (very) small sum of money by easyJet - in effect as payment for making their site easier to find, although it's actually referred to as advertising.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

After several hours on the phone to various continentsand tier 3 support ring backs tha never happen. I am migrating away so will be going back to the speedtouch.
      The sky support is really bad especially the foreign centres, decided i could not go a year never wanting to call support even if needed, and boy i have needed during my first few days. After 5 days without router !!

Thanks

if u were calling Sky for purely a DNS issue then y not try actually fixing it urself? did u try using the OpenDNS settings at all? 95% of issue regarding router having connection and not being able to browse are EU end and taking a little time to get ur PC setup right would fix the lot....

shame ur leaving if thats all that was wrong, but thats ur call....

plus - tier 3 dont deal with DNS issues. Thats tier 2...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

djkemp1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i couldn't find out how to input these new servers into the speedtouch router, any ideas?

Thanks

they go into ur LAN connection on the PC - not the router...

do a google search on 'changing DNS settings in windows' and you'll see how

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi
      The dns was not the only issue, basically i stuck with the netgear router and for most of the time was unable to browse ! Everytime i rang the support told me to reset the router, this i was doing 7 or 8 times a day. Eventually got through to t3 where a lady told me that i would only get 5meg. I previosly had a IP profile of 7150 with an ipstream connection, I asked if there was anthying she could do and she said yes i can transfer you to disconnections where you can request a technical cancellation. I was just still within my 8 day period.
      Still a nightmare since then, the guy i spoke to cancelled but said i must write as well so i did this and emailed( this bounces back) He also ordered a MAC for me so i did not get a cease on the line. Rang yesterday and there is no note of my cancellation !!!!
      I have filled out a form on line and filed a complaint with the ISPA, no way could i live with this kind of service even if the cost is low.

Should migrate on 5th

Regards