Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Unofficial firmware for DG384GT

This is a discussion on Unofficial firmware for DG384GT within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I'd be interested in hearing of how any of you have found your connection stability when tweaking the Target SNR ...

outofspace is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Barnwood
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Unofficial firmware for DG384GT

I'd be interested in hearing of how any of you have found your connection stability when tweaking the Target SNR

As I often fancied a play but keep bottling it
      I've never seen mine go below 8db and I'm sure I could get closer to the max connection speed reported. (Connect around 5500 kbps Max around 6000kbps)

2. Advertisement
      jayyyb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Trentside (Nottingham)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have to say, having downloaded, and flashed my firmware to this 'uber' firmware, so far, so far (extra fingers crossed so far) everything has been running extremely well.

With all the problems I've been having (constant reboots - see my thread: here), it could be a long shot, but it may have been the Sky firmware screwing things up all along.

The flashing process was a breeze, and I haven't changed any of the default settings, so far, all is good, hopefully it will stay this way.

Thanks so much for finding this firmware.

bye

d3fiant is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Emerson Valley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayyyb View Post
      I have to say, having downloaded, and flashed my firmware to this 'uber' firmware, so far, so far (extra fingers crossed so far) everything has been running extremely well.

With all the problems I've been having (constant reboots - see my thread: here), it could be a long shot, but it may have been the Sky firmware screwing things up all along.

The flashing process was a breeze, and I haven't changed any of the default settings, so far, all is good, hopefully it will stay this way.

Thanks so much for finding this firmware.

bye
      how did u flash this firmware, when I use the upgrade firmware wizard within the sky firmware it doesnt like the file, neither does it like the official netgear firmware
      SKY BB MAX
      -=Main PC=- C2D 6600 - AB9 Pro - 896MB GTX260 - 4GB RAM DDR667 - 1.8TB Storage

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi.

First get your username and password via this utility: Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.3

Then download the flash recovery utility that is available via a link in this thread: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-flash.html

I suggest you extract the zipped utility to a folder somewhere easily visible (like on the desktop)

Now download the uberfirmware (the one at the top of the list works for me): http://dragonslight.altervista.org/ubergt/download.html

Extract the files from the uberfirmware download, and place them in the recovery utility folder.

Now just follow the instructions for upgrading your router given on http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-flash.html

(reset router, start recovery utility etc..)

Its all there.

It worked beautifully for me. No disconnections in 4 days.

I would recommend this firmware to anyone.

I reckon in most cases the reboot problems people are having are down to bad sky fimware - bear in mind, Sky have never updated it, so it is almost like a version 0.1. and there will always be bugs.

If people are brave enough, I would recommend flashing the firmware before calling Sky, however, I only bucked up the courage to flash it myself after I had called Sky and they agreed to send me a new router, so I had nothing to lose.

I retrospect, it was easy, it was just fear of the unknown that stopped me from flashing it.

Cheers

Thanks

thanks jayyyb, I have two sky routers and a 3rd on the way. The first works fine as a switch and Wireless AP but the ADSL side of it never worked, they didnt collect it when they sent me the second one which gave up the ghost two days ago, just stopped working. When I plug it in the 4 NIC LEDS light up but then nothing, seems dead. These routers seem so bloody minded, Ive even bought a linksys router as a fallback and to be honest if I get the sky routers working I may just stick them on ebay
      SKY BB MAX

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yeah, it will be interesting to see what the uber firmware does for you. I am utterly convinced that it has sorted my router.

Before I flashed it, I got random disconnections and reboots.

It was awful, but I didn't want to do anything until I got a fallback option (a replacement router)

Since flashing the router, I have not had a single disconnection. I can browse faster now aswell, so I'm sure my performance has improved aswell.

Up until I flashed, I was seriously looking at buying other routers, even so far as making a list of sub 40 ADSL2 modems.

But now, I am perfectly happy.

Try flashing the router, see if it works.

If it does, test it for a week, then decide.

Oh, and you might want to do a bit of research before you sell the router, I think there are some kind of privacy legalities you should be aware of, can't remember which thread it was, but it was discussed in the router forum.

cheers

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

"Oh, and you might want to do a bit of research before you sell the router, I think there are some kind of privacy legalities you should be aware of, can't remember which thread it was, but it was discussed in the router forum."

There are 18 Sky/Netgear Routers on sale on e-bay right now -- and instructions on how to reflash them for use with other providers.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ah, fair enough.

shows up my laziness

Thanks

well after the reflash on both they both exhibited exactly the same faults as before so I assume they are definately hardware failures rather than just a firmware glitch, might as well bin the pieces of crap and wait for sky to deliver the next router doomed to failure
      SKY BB MAX

GraemeF is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Farnborough
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Fed up of port forwarding and DMZ not working at all, I tried this firmware last night. It was all going so well, I clicked the Upgrade button in UpgradeWizard.exe, it erased the old firmware from the EEPROM and then my Vista laptop suffered a BSOD. Don't try this on Vista! I can't be sure that it's a Vista-specific problem, but have a good look for an XP box before you click Upgrade!

Now UpgradeWizard.exe can't see the router to upgrade any more, and I'm stuck with permanent flashing power & test LEDs.

Is it possible to use any other ADSL router with Sky broadband, or am I stuck with an "official" one? I've had great experiences with DD-WRT before I was forced to give up cable, and would ideally like to use DD-WRT on an ADSL router with Sky.
      Last edited by GraemeF; 01-10-07 at 09:58 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 24-05-07, 08:53 PM
    2. 24-05-07, 06:41 PM
    3. 24-05-07, 06:36 PM