Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I be getting higher speeds?

This is a discussion on Should I be getting higher speeds? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all. I have been eagerly browsing this site since my line was activated with the Sky Mid Broadband package ...

razorkai is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Reigate
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Should I be getting higher speeds?

Hi all.

I have been eagerly browsing this site since my line was activated with the Sky Mid Broadband package on Friday. Having come from a 4 MB NTL connection I have not been particularly impressed with the speeds I am seeing with Sky. Would someone take a look at the stats below and tell me if I am right to be concerned? I have used the optimiser program but it seemed to have no effect.

Latest test at Namesco BroadbandMax ADSL Broadband Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL Broadband connection speed gives

2487 kbps download and 352 kbps upload.

Router stats show the following

ADSL Link Downstream
      Connection Speed 8096 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38.0 db
      Noise Margin 8.8 db

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 22.5 db
      Noise Margin 14.0 db

TIA

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Should I be getting higher speeds?

Your download speeds are very low for your connection speed. In the vast majority of cases this can be fixed with TCPOptimizer. Not in this case though for some reason. I'd suggest you go to broadband help Tweaking for speed and run their test to ensure you have TCPOptimizer set properly.

If everything is as it should be then I suppose you may have a particularly bad line for errors - though I would have thought this would have been evident in the stats you have already posted. To check you need to extract a more detailed set and this can be done with Mognut's tool, details of which you'll find in the sticky in the Tech forum.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Saturday

I went to the tweaking for speed article and used the tool. It suggested I change the RWIN number to about half of what TCP Optimiser had set it to. I did thsi and rebooted but no joy. Apart from that it said everything was looking good. My speeds seem to be very unpredictable. At the moment I am only seeing 751 kbps download according to the same test site I used yesterday! I have captured my stats, should I post them here or in the tech forum? I should mention that I am using a wireless connection, but that is showing up an Excellent signal strength at 54 Mbs, so should be ok.

Yesterday I tried loads of the tips in the forum and after one reboot of the router I saw a speed of over 6 MB for one speed test. However, on repeating that test it fell right back down again. I have tried using an ethernet connection but did not see any real difference.

Thanks.

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK - don't worry about the RWIN figure. Each will give different recommendations. Both are fine.

You've now given the info necessary to be pretty sure what your problem is. Its your wireless connection. Signal strength may well be excellent but that doesn't necessarily equate to connection speed. Now your TCP/IP settings are correct I'd confidently bet that if you ran a speedtest with a wired connection you'd see a much improved download speed.

To improve your wireless connection you will need to experiment with your router position, channel number and possibly aerial orientation. Also, avoid placing it near anything large and metal or electrical.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry but this doesn't make sense to me. I said that I had tried a wired connection and saw no real difference in download speed. Given that information, how can you be sure it is my wireless connection causing the issues? It is going to be a tad annoying if I have to use wired because the PC is upstairs and the router downstairs. I have a phone socket upstairs but that actually seemed to make it worse in terms of download speed. Why are these things never easy? I seems to have far too many spent hours on this now

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry if it doesn't make sense to you but it's a fact that wireless connections are not as reliable as a wired connection. The signal strength you see reported is just that - the signal strength. This has only a passing relationship with the connection "strength".

You say that with an earlier test with a wired connection you "did not see any real difference". My presumption is that you hadn't sorted out your TCP/IP settings when you did this test. You have now.

Of course its up to you whether you can be bothered to run another test. And yes, an upstairs phone extension probably did make things worse. Possibly you don't understand the difference or impact between a direct connection with a RJ11 (router cable) into a (preferably upgraded) master socket and a piece of wiring that disappears into your wall and in any case was put there for voice calls not high speed internet? Or the difference between connection speed and download speed? Or the difference between a wired connection and wireless?

You really would be well served to do a bit of background reading - this site is an excellent source. I've tried to help and offered my advice. Again, it's up to you whether you want to take it.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If I have come across as being ungrateful I apologise as I am truly grateful for your help. Sometimes I find it hard to get things across in forums without leaving my posts open to misinterpretation of teh tone in whcih they are posted. I will try and get hold of a long cat 5 cable to test using a wired connection with the router plugged into the master socket downstairs. At least that way I can verify if the problem still occurs for wired connections.

I have spent a fair while reading many threads on similar issues - most of the day yesterday in fact. My expression of frustration was with not getting this to work out of the box, rather than with your advice

I'll post back when I try the wired test again!

Many thanks.

Exchange:
      Thanks

No offence taken I assure you.

While you are waiting for a longer cable, try experimenting with position/channel etc. as advised. You may well be surprised what a difference this can make to the speed of a wireless connection. If you can get it to an acceptable level then going wired may not be necessary.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi again Saturday

I have just done some extensive testing with all wireless channels and a long cat 5 cable I borrowed from work. The results are that you were spot on! When running with a wired connection I am now seeing 5.5 MB/s download speeds according to speed tester sites. Although I was able to see significant differences between wireless channels I didn't get anywhere near this level. The best I got wireless was 1.5 MB/s. This leaves me a couple of options.

1) I could leave the router downstairs and attempt to run cat 5 the cable properly - could be difficult.
      2) I could move the router upstairs but still plugged into the master socket downstairs via a long modem type lead. This is easier as the cable is thinner and less difficult to hide under the carpet. This option may also allow me to still use wireless, as the signal will likely improved a fair bit if I can get the router in the same room as the PC.

I prefer option 2, but not having the cable yet I am not sure if that would have any impact on my speeds i.e. would it cause any negative effects? Also, what type of cable is it that goes from the router to the filter, is it just a normal modem type one or would I need to buy something specific?

Many, many thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

The first option would definitely be best but the second may also be OK depending on the cable run. The router cable you need is called an RJ11.

I know of someone using an RJ11 run of 10m with no detectable degradation of the ADSL signal. I've seen other reports saying that 25m is OK but I can't personally vouch for that. However, the cables are very cheap e.g. here, so experimenting won't cost much. Make sure you run the cable as far away from power cables as possible, certainly no closer than 5cm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast