Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

High latency

This is a discussion on High latency within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by chrisypea Like I said I play a lot of real-time games so 50ms is quite bad and ...

maxping is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: High latency

Quote Originally Posted by chrisypea View Post
      Like I said I play a lot of real-time games so 50ms is quite bad and it is more like 60ms anyway.

With regards to my question, can i do anything about it?
      Theres another thread about this in the forums where someone explained the difference between 30ms & 50ms its something like 0.03 of a second , i would not let it bother you you are not going to notice any difference while gaming.
      I certainly would not rewire the house in the hope i could drop 20ms's its just not worth it.

2. Advertisement
      chrisypea is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Waltham Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

So going by that diagram, I would hard-wire some cat 5e from the A and B connections on the back of the faceplate to an extension next to my router and then plug it straight into it?

Could another user confirm that this would reduce my latency.

Maxping: take it from me first-hand, I AM experiencing quite a large ping whilst playing Unreal Tournament 2004, believe me, you would notice the difference.

For example, the last time I played, I was happily driving along when suddenly, my connection caught up with the game and I found myself dead instantly (when I was under the impression that I was under no fire from other players).

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxping View Post
      Theres another thread about this in the forums where someone explained the difference between 30ms & 50ms its something like 0.03 of a second , i would not let it bother you you are not going to notice any difference while gaming.
      I certainly would not rewire the house in the hope i could drop 20ms's its just not worth it.
      I'm not getting involved in that argument lol. My pings are mid 20 to mid 30 and i'm still rubbish !!!!

Thanks

Anyhow, I will plug the router into my test socket tomorrow just to check that the high latency does not originate from outside of the house.

If it is our wiring (which I am sure it probably is), on confirmation that a new faceplate will definately help with a dedicated connection, that is what I will do, or rather persuade my parents to allow as the master socket is in their bedroom and they are reluctant to have a wire through it

Hopefully I will win them over in the end.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Good luck - something else has just occured to me - you need to be connected to the router with the ethernet cable and not wireless.

Thanks

Yes that occured to me too so I checked the wired connection also and the ping was just as high.

Connection on the ethernet is always viable if I need to anyway.

Thanks, Chris.

Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Hmm never mind. It seems the test may be at fault.
      Last edited by Chug a Bug; 06-03-07 at 12:13 AM.

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I had a problem with drop outs and high latency, like yourself I play online games and latency can cause a major problem.

A few things I did to reduce my Ping were as follows:

Changed the Master Socket, this completely removed the random Disconnection problems I had:
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabli...ace-plate.html

Unfortunatly this did not solve my latency issues, which I put down to my machine being wireless, I optermised my local machnies network card using the Optermiser:
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/speed...onnection.html

This reduced my Latency, since im on Wireless i'll never get amazing ping ratings, I hover around 56-70 Ms, which im happy with considering the range of my wireless.

If I wire to my router I can get 30-40 ms. Im not sure if im on Interleave or Fastpath.

Some more 'light reading' if you have the time: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/speed...explained.html

This site was truely a massive help to me, so i'd suggest you spend some time reading around, and check out the Technical Section (you need to email for the password).

Good luck in your Latency Reduction!

Wulfy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: skelmersdale
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just a FYI i had a conversation with a line manager at the Sky support desk and interleave is here to stay Sky will not switch people to fast path as apprently there DSLANS simpley dont have the capacity to run everyone on FAST as one user allegedly could qute easily dominate the bandwith for that pipe so yup my Battlefield 2 days are well and truly over back to flower picking on WoW

Thanks

Just so that anybody reading knows the situation, here is how things panned out for me:

After receiving a reference number and promised a call from tier 3 within 5 days, I received no such call.

I then called technical support who, after asking me the general connection problem questions, put me on hold for tier 3 techies.

After about a 1 hour wait, I was connected to a very nice woman at tier 3 who was extremely helpful.

I told her how I was getting high latency and she had a look at my line. Turns out there were a few errors on the line. She fixed these somehow (I know for a fact that she did not cap me to fix the errors as she did try this and it did not help) and I am still on interleave.

However, I am now pinging to bbc.co.uk at about 25ms rather than the 60ms previously so I am very happy.

Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12