Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

IP Profile - What is it, who sets it?

This is a discussion on IP Profile - What is it, who sets it? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Since getting connected to Sky connect, I've been trying to understand why I've only been getting download speeds of aroound ...

AndyK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdeen, Lochnagar
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

IP Profile - What is it, who sets it?

Since getting connected to Sky connect, I've been trying to understand why I've only been getting download speeds of aroound 1900 kbps despite the router consistently syncing at around 7200 kbps. I've ran the BT speedtester (Test Result) and according to this my IP profile is set at 2000 kbps:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
      IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
      DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7232 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1867 kbps

Does this mean my speed is caped at 2000 kbps and if so who by, BT or Sky?

PS Thanks to Mossywell for his Bounce Sky Router tool, as my broadband password is required to run the speedtester

2. Advertisement
      jb51053 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: IP Profile - What is it, who sets it?

It's set by BT, it's still fairly common for some "BT Max" lines to get stuck at 2Mb when they first activated.
      You can try leaving the router off over night and plugging it back it in the morning, very occasionally it causes the system to update it to the correct value, more often than not it needs a fault to be logged to get BT to sort it. Call sky and open a fault with them, they should then send it to BT, who should sort it for you.

JB