Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Line Attenuation Oddities - Help on Speed Issue

This is a discussion on Line Attenuation Oddities - Help on Speed Issue within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; What a fantastic forum. It has, in the last hour, helped me more than phoning Sky on 4 occasions across ...

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Line Attenuation Oddities - Help on Speed Issue

What a fantastic forum. It has, in the last hour, helped me more than phoning Sky on 4 occasions across numerous hours.

Initial speed checks were suggesting anything from 800kbps to 1500kps at most.

My stats are as follows :

System Up Time 01:07:25
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 39075 60022 0 2753 20186 01:05:52
      LAN 10M/100M 317 0 0 17 0 01:07:23
      WLAN 11M/54M 63314 41774 0 20413 2915 01:07:13

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5824 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 15.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 14.0 db

Am I the only person with a line attenuation that is higher for Upstream, because everyone elses seems to have an upstream that is lower than their downstream.

I have ran the optomizer and the download speed has touched 4000kbps. I am quite happy because this now matches my old NTL broadband speed. However, after reading this forum I have become a bit greedy and would like to know if I should be getting more.

I am paid up to the Sky Max (upto 16mb) I was never expecting to get anywhere near that but I am now lead to believe that, with my line attenuation for download being quite low at 15.5db, I should be getting more than the 5824kbps that is quoted in the stats.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. I have plugged directly into the Master Socket but that did not give any speed increase. Is my line capped at the 5824kbps? (and how do I find out).

It has only been two days since install, is it right that speeds could change over 10 days.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

2. Advertisement
      jb51053 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Line Attenuation Oddities - Help on Speed Issue

Sure thats a bug, try rebooting and see what it comes back as, i'd guess your downstream attenuation is actually going to be in the high 40's to get the speeds you are seeing.
      Last edited by Saturday; 02-03-07 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Removed full quote of preceding post

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Cheers JB.

I rebooted and everything is STILL roughly the same with downstream attenuation less than upstream.

Speed this morning has now degraded back to about 2mb again.

As the crow flies I am only about 1.7km away from the exchange by road its about 2.4km. I was expecting at least 8mb (and hoping for more) so went for Max.

I suppose I could claim miselling and move down to the middle package, but I think there is a download limit on that.

jb51053 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

At that kind of distance your downstream attenutation will be much higher than 15.5dB, my line is about 1.5KM by road and the attenuation down is 28dB and 16dB up for comparison, so i'd be pretty sure your router isn't reporting the downstream attenuation correctly, upstream is probably about right, give or take.

Have you tried the test socket behind the master sockets face plate?

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Thanks again JB. You were exactly on the button with your thoughts. My line attenuation on the downstream is 51db (was hoping for less). Is that about right for my distance away?

If it doesn't get any higher than 6mb on downloads I will seek to reduce my package with sky as they did quote my line was capable of between 8mb & 16mb.

I take it there is nothing I can do to get it higher? I'm assuming with the router quoting 6048kbps, thats as good as it's going to get, plus a decrease over the wires in the home.

Oh well. Thanks again for the help.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 945 883 0 822 2931 00:03:42
      LAN 10M/100M 144 0 0 132 0 00:05:08
      WLAN 11M/54M 1277 1243 0 2817 786 00:04:58

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6048 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 13.0 db

jb51053 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

51 is a bit high for 2.8KM, thats more like 3.5 - 4ish, but nothing you can do to lower it really if thats in your test socket, it could just be the line is longer than you expected (they sometimes take very odd routes between the exchange and your house) or theres a bit of aluminium in there or something.

If the router is quoting 6Mb then you should see speed test results in the area of 5 - 5.5ish Mb. I'd leave the router in the master socket and get hold of a long ethernet cable to connect the pc up to it, so you don't rely on any extension cables carrying the broadband signal around your house.

As for changing packages, depends how much you download i guess, Max is unlimited, Mid has a 40GB monthly allowance.

JB