Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Why are downloads so slow?

This is a discussion on Why are downloads so slow? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I have had sky broadband for week now and am also having problems with the download speed. Have your ...

leighmardon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Why are downloads so slow?

Hi
      I have had sky broadband for week now and am also having problems with the download speed.

Have your downloads now speeded up??

2. Advertisement
      cyberdragon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01733
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Absolutely true, my understanding is that Sky are using RADSL which basically means that the DSL signal sent to your master socket will be based on the lines ability to synchronise effectively. So if your line will only sych at 3Mb and give you a stable connection that is all the system will send you. As per previous posts you may only live XXX from the exchange but that does not necessarily mean that will be the length of the line from your M/Socket to the exchange. BT can provide you an actual line length and also the composite of the alloys used on yiour particular line. Not many people know but sme BT lines are actually an Aluminium and Copper alloy and are not as efficient at transmitting High Frequency signals as pure copper lines. I know you already mentioned distance from the M/Socket and your PC ut I woudl suggest you give it a try and see if this does improve your signal. At least then you will know and can consider having the M/Socket moved by BT.

Topper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hounslow
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My speeds are fine now - about 10mb. I mentioned this in a previous post, but the problem was that I had my microfilter plugged into the extension cable that went to my sky HD box. Plugging the microfilter directly into the socket solved the problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12