Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed dropped right down after Day 1

This is a discussion on Speed dropped right down after Day 1 within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys I hope this isn't a question that you've all answered a hundred times already, I did have a ...

beacon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: willowcroft
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Speed dropped right down after Day 1

Hi guys

I hope this isn't a question that you've all answered a hundred times already, I did have a look through a lot of posts and couldn't find the answer. If it is I apologise and hope you'll humour me with an answer.

My sky max BB package was connected on the 22nd and on that day (and that day alone) I was registering speeds of around 12,000kbps, up to nearly 14,000 at one point. Since then though I have struggled to register speeds above 1500 most of the time, occasionally I have broken the 3000 kbps mark.

I had been told by a friend that on another ISP they had a 10day settling down period with their BB where the line was tested to assess tyhe maximum speed the line could handle and during that time the speed would fluctuate. He had been told that it was important to turn the router off during that time on a fairly frequent basis to force a new connection.

I haven't been able to find any info on this relating to Sky BB, but since my speeds dropped I have been doing so just in case this was what was required.

Is this the reason why my speeds have dropped or is there another explanation?

My router is connected at the main socket (though it isn't a "master socket" as has been described elsewhere on this forum) and then wirelessly to my desktop.

My current stats are as follows, though this is the lowest I have seen my noise margin, it is usually closer to 9.5.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 13973 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.5 db 20.6 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 12.5 db

Any advice on where to look first will be very much appreciated.

Cheers
      Dave

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Speed dropped right down after Day 1

Quote Originally Posted by beacon View Post
      Hi guys

I hope this isn't a question that you've all answered a hundred times already
      Yes , but never mind

Your friend must be on BTs ADSL Max service (Sky call it Connect) as only this has a 10 day training period. Yours doesn't.

Your router is connecting at 13973kbps which is near the maximum for an attenuation of 34.5db so not anything to worry about. I can confidently say that it is very unlikely that the drop in speed is anything to do with your connection/Sky.

Your download speed will never equal your connection speed due to transmission overheads. The best you can hope for is ~85% i.e. for your current stats about 11900kbps.

Assuming you are using a good speedtest server, if you are not getting this then the two most common reasons by far are a poor wireless connection or incorrect TCP/IP settings. For the first you need to experiment with different channel numbers and/or router position/aerial orientation. For the second see the second sticky in my signature at the bottom of this post.

Why you were able to get better speeds before I couldn't say - something must have changed. Has a neighbour just set up a wireless network that might be interfering? Have you just bought a new Dect phone and plonked it nearby?
      Last edited by Saturday; 27-02-07 at 05:21 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Saturday. I have already run TCP optimizer, it's a piece of software I've had for a while so was one of the first things I tried. I did run it again when I read the sticky the other day though. There hasn't been any change in the speed since then.

The speedtest site I've been using most is Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test, but I've used BTs own test and about another 5 or so others, all with similar results.

My wireless connection is running at 54Mbps and the signal strength is excellent or at the very least very good at all times. Do you think it is still worth trying different channels?

There is a DECT phone about 3 feet from the router, it's been there all along though. I tried disconnecting it and the one in the office near my desktop and it doesn't seem to have helped at all, in fact my speed is now settling around 1000kbps (although I'm sure this is just coincidence)

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Try this test site.

If it is still low then I'd be pretty confident that your wireless signal is poor or there's interference from somewhere. Also, the 54Mbps is just the signal rate and this can/will bear little relation to the connection rate.

Yes, you will have to experiment a little: channels, position etc. and make sure there's not anything electrical/metal in the path of the signal or nearby.

If not a wireless problem (do you get this speed wired? That would confirm this or not) then the only other thing would be that your line has suddenly started generating errors and this is degrading your ADSL signal. To check you need to extract your detailed stats from the router. However, I doubt this is the cause as to degrade things that much it would also suppress your connection speed and there's no evidence of that.

pwoolley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: littlehampton
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@Saturday

I too had the same problem as beacon, until this evening I was downloading a rather large file with Utorrent. As i was watching the dismal down load speed I just happened to move my USB Wireless Adaptor off my desk and up onto the window sill when i spotted the download speed increase. Odd i thought, so i returned the adaptor back to the desk and down the speed went. I did this quite a few times (as I am sad) And then I remembered this link and you mentioned about the wireless speed...Eureka i cried (with a few swear words chucked in)

This was confirmed by carrying out a speedtest.net test and WOW back to the glory days of 9MB.

So now I either have to sit with one arm up holding the adaptor or upset the wife and stick it high up the window....guess what, its upset the wife time..

Cheers Beacon and Saturday

Paul

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks guys. I'll try messing with the router and take it from there. I read a few conflicting posts regarding the sky router. It seems to underperform against the BT one I had been using on my pipex account - I never had any dropped connections in 3 years and got consistently good speeds (albeit on a 2Mb line) with my router in the same place and setup.

Some posts state that it's impossible to use another router with Sky, others suggest not. Any thoughts on this. If I can't get decent wireless with my netgear where it is at the moment I'm probably stuffed as I have a Roku Soundbridge hardwired to it and I can't change the position of that because it needs to be near my stereo amp. If that's the case I'd rather go back to old faithful.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You can get the username and password via mognuts application, I believe using non sky product would invalidate the T&C but if you get a better connection and value for money why not.

I would try moving the receiver about a bit whilst downloading a file. You could try changing channels in the router to see if it gives you a more stable and high Tx rate.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Paul

I've had a play around and indeed I do get lightning fast connection on ethernet (13500-14500). Changing the position of the router and altering the channel has only had marginal effect. I can now get speeds of around 3500kbps. This, even with the router aerial postioned right next to the aerial on my wireless card so I can't see that there will be anywhere in the house I can get a better signal, especially not in the room downstairs where I need the router to be. Very frustrating.

I'm going to play around with the wireless connection to my Roku and see if I can get sufficiently high connection speeds between that and the router that will avoid droputs, but previously I needed to have the wireless hop between my pc and my router (rather than between the router and the Roku) to stop the Roku buffering all the time.

Failing that I think I'll try the old BT router instead.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

At least you know its not an issue between the router and exchange, and they are impressive speeds.

Fingers crossed for you that you are able to get "old faithful" to work.

Paul

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

pwooley's experience with wireless and the window sill is pretty typical.

The reason is that wirelss travels better thru air than thru walls.

Coincidentally, many people put the router near a window simply because the BT line comes in there. Just remember to use WEP or WPA -- because you're broadcasting to the world through that window too !!