Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

My sky problem

This is a discussion on My sky problem within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 3392 kbps 448 kbps Line Attenuation 60.0 db 31.5 db Noise Margin 5.4 db ...

Billy Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

My sky problem

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3392 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 60.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 5.4 db 11.0 db

That is what i've got in my sky status page

Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pB018e.d16f
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 3392 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

Is what is on my main page.

When downloading sometimes i will be getting around 270kb/s then it will jump down to 5kb/s for ages, to rectify it i need to reboot router but even this only works for so long. Also the above stats is when the router is Straight into my test socket. I am wondering what the problem may be. Is it me or is it Sky. I also am using my Lan port for connection not wireless

2. Advertisement
      martytoon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lemington
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: My sky problem

Brian,

I'm very new around here so don't take what I write as gospel. It's just my thoughts having spent some time reading through the posts on this excellent forum. There's a huge amount of good information so it really is worthwhile setting aside some time and going through it. Anyway your problem...

1. Line attenuation is a measure of how far you are from the exchange. The higher the figure the further away you are from the exchange. This is important as the dsl figure degrades over distance and therefore the further away you are from the exchange the lower your connection speed. You are connecting at 3392 kbps which I would say is about right for that attenuation figure. I don't believe there is anything you can do to change the attenuation figure.

2. Noise margin. The target is 7db. Once below this your router may have difficulty picking out the dsl signal from the background noise, resulting in errors on the line. This maybe causing your fluctuating download speeds - data is having to be resent because of errors - which results in slower downloads.

One thing I quickly learnt is that the Sky network becomes more noisy from early evening onwards. If you have a noise margin of 7db during the day it's more than likely going to drop below the threashold in the evening.

Following advice on here, I rebooted my router at the noisiest time of the evening. Whilst this means I connect at a slight slower speed I do have a stable connection as my noise margin doesn't drop below 7db.

3. Improving noise margin. Your home phone wiring system and how your router is connected to the system will affect how much noise is on the line. There's a load of stuff on the forums about this so worth a look.

Hope this helps as a starter, and if anyone thinks I way off the mark please let me know - I'm still learing.

outofspace is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Barnwood
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: My sky problem

With your attenuation you ain doing bad

Attenuation.............Approximate Line Length............Potential Connection Speed
      60db...................................4.3km...... .................................3200kbps

A new master faceplate can work wonders. Have a look on this board for more info on XTE-2005 from ADSL Nation.

A read of this thread is worthwhile as well:
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/speed...explained.html

But it is odd that you drop to 5k then have to rebbot the router.
      What application / protocol are you using?

Mossywell's excellent router monitor tool may help
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/techn...matically.html