Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slow Speeds

This is a discussion on Slow Speeds within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, i have been on sky connect for 5 days now and when i connected i did a speed test ...

kbv1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: VM XL 20mb
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slow Speeds

Hi,

i have been on sky connect for 5 days now and when i connected i did a speed test and got around 3.5 meg. I done one each day and its stayed about the same until i came to it today, did a speed test and get around 1566kbs . I have done all my speed tests on Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test.

Any idea why this is? on the router stats it says line sync (i think ) is 4488kbs any idea whats going on and how to get fast speeds again?
      many thanks

2. Advertisement
      stevelaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norton (01642)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Slow Speeds

TCPOptimizer helps a lot of people's speeds. http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/speed...onnection.html

(If you are using wireless you could try changing the channel.)

If that doesn't help you could try rebooting the server.

There may be a problem or glitch with the exchange or one (or more) of the servers - lots of people seem to be getting a similar slow down this weekend.

(Maybe Sky are just taking too many new customers and are overloading their own infrastructure.)

stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

On sky connect there is a 10 day training period for it to find the max stable connection. During this period the speed can vary dramatically. After this period the speed should be set to you max possible. During the 10 days make sure your router is connected to your master socket and reboot it once a day

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i have just looked on the modem and the DownStream Connection Speed 5184 kbps. when i test my speed on speedtester.net it only has 3 1/2 meg how do i go about getting more?
      thanks

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

you need to wait until after the 10 day training period, then you can go about working out how to get better speeds

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

do i have to keep it in the master socket all the time due to havin to have the modem upstairs on an extention lead as im connected via ethernet cable due to not having a wireless adapter as im on vista. Can i just plug the modem in the master soctet few hours a day or will that not work? i get about 4500kbs on extention lead and about 6870kbs in master socket.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It is not ideal to have the router connected to an extension cable. If it is going to be like that all the time you should have a hard wired extension from the master socket. If you are happy with the decreased speed then that is fine. During the training period you should ideally have your internal setup at the best possible (which would be having your router connected to your master socket).

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok iv now connected it to the master master socket and ill leave it there for the next 3 days until the training period is over. can i then move it into the normal socket, main bt one but not the master one? Also if you use a wireless adapter does that make speed difference compared to ethernet?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless can be okay for some people, but people often have trouble getting a stable and fast connection. ethernet is always better for stability and speed.

You can move the router back after the training period but the speed would not be what you would achieve at the master socket. Is the extension socket hard wired into the master socket behind the faceplate?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

the modem will be plugged into main bt socket but not the master one under the cover as i have sky digital multiroom upstairs and i have to have them connected to the phone line, using the master one will cut them off. So i will have to have it wireless, cant have modem plugged in main bt socket with ethernet cable. Does it matter, speed wise, if its in main bt socket, but not the master one underneath?

Does wireless effect the speed much? if it did how could you make it better or cant you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast