Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Slow Speeds

This is a discussion on Slow Speeds within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I think you may be getting things confused. Your master socket is the socket with the split front. When you ...

stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Slow Speeds

I think you may be getting things confused. Your master socket is the socket with the split front. When you unscrew the bottom section to reveal another socket, this socket is called the test socket. When you take the bottom faceplate off is there an orange wire/wires connected to terminal 3. If there is remove these as they are not needed. This wire can give you a bad connection. On removing this take a look at your stats to see if there is an improvement.

2. Advertisement
      kbv1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: VM XL 20mb
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

oh, so i dont need to plug it into the test socket becasue thats where it is now,lol D'oh!
      So i have to take out the orange wire underneath the facure (where the test socket is) and then screw it back in and plug the modem there? What is the orange wire for then? is it important? Does it matter that i have put it in the test socket? I seem to get 6822kbs there though,lol

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No it does not matter if you plug into the test socket, it just bypasses extensions that are wired into the house. The orange wire is the bell wire used by old phones with a bell in. It was for pulse dialling, but has now been replaced with tone dialling. So yes remove that wire, then put the faceplate back on, plug in your router and check your stats. They should hopefully be close to 6822kbps. If they are a lot lower than that you could probably do with an adsl faceplate from ADSL Nation - XTE-2005 - Filtered Master Faceplate or Clarity :: ADSL Filtering :: BT ADSL NTE5 Master Adaptors

kbv1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: VM XL 20mb
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i have removed the orange wire and speeds went up, and so i moved it back upstairs to try the speeds on my extention cable and as you can see from my signature below im now getting hell of a lot fast speeds up here (same as connecting it to the master socket) im really happy im connected via ehternet cable though so i will really know when my wireless adapter comes tomorrow morning.
      here are my current stats off modem:
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pB018e.d16f
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 6368 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

taking that orange wire out has improved everything so much. THANK YOU!!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes the bell wire can gather up noise and send it onto your adsl line. Glad it has all worked out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12