Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Sky Connect Customer - HELP!!!

This is a discussion on New Sky Connect Customer - HELP!!! within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys Would appreciate some help in order to optimise my connection. Just had line activated on Monday evening and ...

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

New Sky Connect Customer - HELP!!!

Hi Guys

Would appreciate some help in order to optimise my connection.

Just had line activated on Monday evening and have been playing xbox 360 live seamlessly by wireless adaptor.
      Have 2 latops, old work one, dell inspiron, which i plug a lan cable in for and my new HP compaq which i really just use for browsing wia wirelss conn.

I am curently using a (old probably) version of limewire and was getting quite poor download speeds last night. around 1am it peaked at 130kb/s then dropped way down again. now i am aware that my download speeds will rely on the server / pc i am downloading from (plus sky narrowing the bandwith due to their FUP). so i went and downloaded a couple of movie trailers from empire.com (i think?) and got around the 1.4MB/s mark.

Accoding to sky and other websites i should be getting 5.5MB due to my location from the exchange.

Firstly, is there anybetter P2P software around at the min that would be better than limewire?

Secondly, how can i improve my download speeds for normal (i.e. not P2P stuff), i saw a thread talking about resetting the router everyday for the fist 11 days (how do u reset it? put a pin in the hole at the back or just switch it off??) and how are you meant to maintain a high download speed for 3 days solid?

ANy advice would be greatly welcome.

2. Advertisement
      stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: New Sky Connect Customer - HELP!!!

I think you may be getting confused with your terminology, you say you got 1.4MB/s. On the package you are on of up to 8MB you are only capable of getting 800-900kb/s. And that is on a perfect line. If you are actually connected at 5.5MB then you can expect a speed of 500-600kb/s. You need to retrieve your router stats. There are guides around the forum on how to do this.

There are a number of ways to reset the router, I personally login to the router via a computer and hit the reboot button in the diagnostics tab.

You need to remember in the 10 day training period speeds can vary a lot. After the 10 days you should see a more constant speed.

In regards to limewire, I dont think the speed is limited, or not that much. It does all depend on the number of connections and other users upload speeds

jawilson59 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whiteabbey
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, thanks for the reply (i have now registered!!!)

Yes, apologies i was slightly confused, during a file download from the we, i was getting speeds of around 100-140kb/s.

Can you explain how the figures u quoted are determined. i.e if i should be able to get 5.5MB, how that translates to 500-600KB/s...perhaps i am being dense!!

so if i am only getting 140ish and could / should be getting 500kb, how do i improve that, do i ring BT / sky?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

There are two different terms, Mb and MB.

Mb stands for Megabit and MB stands for Megabyte

In my post above I even quoted 5.5MB when it should have been 5.5Mb.

1MB (Megabyte) is equal to 1000kb or 1024kb depending on the standard being used

1Mb (Megabit) is equal to 122kb

So a 5.5Mb connection is equal to 671kb. Although this is the theoretical speed, you will not get this max speed due overheads and other factors.

What you need to do is login to the router at tell us your stats.

Do this by:

Go into your browser and type http://192.168.0.1
      Enter the username: admin and password: sky
      Scroll to the bottom of the page and hit the 'show statistics' button
      A new window will open up, these are the stats you should copy here and post

In regards to ringing sky or BT, you wont get anywhere as you are still in the 10 day training period. When we see your stats, we can estimate what speed you should be seeing.

Also, is your router connected directly to your master socket, or an extension?

jawilson59 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whiteabbey
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok, will checkc router stats tonite and start doing reboots....should i just keep rebooting for the next couple of weeks, or should i stop after a while?

i have my router connected to the master socket, through a filter / splitter thingy to separate the phone. so its a close as possible.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I would say do a reboot once a day until your training period is over.