Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

9MB at the router, 4.5MB at the desktop

This is a discussion on 9MB at the router, 4.5MB at the desktop within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I just had Sky Broadband Max activated and am getting lower speeds than I had hoped. I've come from a ...

-Nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sale
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

9MB at the router, 4.5MB at the desktop

I just had Sky Broadband Max activated and am getting lower speeds than I had hoped. I've come from a 10Mb NTL connection which was very good giving me around 9Mb on speedtests and 1000kb or so on decent downloads. However it is 35 not 10.

I am using the Netgear router from Sky, and have connected my PC via CAT5 a distance of 15mtrs. Pretty much all speedtest sites give between 3.5mb and 4.5mb, and if I download a large file it peaks around 450kb, which reasonably confirms the speedtest rersults. I have AV turned off for these tests.

I have read the forums and there are a number of options but before I embark on them and get myself in knots, I wondered if anyone could give me a pointer as to how best to go about speeding my actual speed up.

Router stats:

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 764 Kbps, Downstream rate = 9243 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 7.0 12.0
      Attn(dB): 36.0 20.2
      Pwr(dBm): 1.3 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 9388 864
      Rate (Kbps): 9243 764
      G.dmt framing
      K: 245(0) 24
      R: 10 16
      S: 1 8
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 70 68
      B: 244 23
      M: 1 8
      T: 1 1
      R: 10 16
      S: 0.8447 7.7037
      L: 2415 216
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 121721 121719
      SFErr: 6 1
      RS: 9250822 1034611
      RSCorr: 46493 0
      RSUnCorr: 119 0

HEC: 6 0
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 42586010 3484471
      Data Cells: 944703 153802
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 2 1
      SES: 0 0
      UAS: 14 52
      Total time = 32 min 53 sec
      SF = 121721
      CRC = 6
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2
      Latest 1 day time = 32 min 53 sec
      SF = 121721
      CRC = 6
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2
      Latest 15 minutes time = 2 min 53 sec
      SF = 10839
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 56065
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 54817
      CRC = 6
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: 9MB at the router, 4.5MB at the desktop

Welcome to the forum

You've moved from cable to ADSL and in many ways from a solid technology to a fragile one.

ADSL uses simple copper wires to transmit enormous amounts of data - something the phone network wasn't designed to do. The technology however, cleverly overcomes the inherent problems in this but with the price that not every user will have the same quality/speed of service. This is especially true as ADSL speeds have risen, with ADSL2+ (the service you are on) capable of blazing speeds but very prone to interference commonly called line noise. Added to this is the fact that the Windows operating system sometimes/often struggles to handle that amount of data with its default settings.

What's this got to do with you? Well, a couple of things.

Your stats show that your router is connected at 9243kbps. That's quite respectable but based on your attenuation you could be connecting at 14500kbps. The fact that you are not strongly suggests that your connection speed is being held back by some level of line noise.

To check whether the line noise is being generated local to you (i.e. your internal phone wiring) which is quite common, you need to take another set of line stats using your test socket which you'll find behind the faceplate of your master socket (assuming you have an NTE5). I'm guessing you'll see a speed boost to your connection speed and if you do then improving the filtering on your connection is strongly advised. See the cabling and faceplate help forum for more details. You may also find this useful background reading.

But that's your connection speed which is different to your download speed.

With a properly set up PC you should find that you are able to download at ~85% of your connection speed - the difference is due to transmission overheads. That's assuming of course that you are testing with a decent speedtest server such as this one.

My guess is that your TCP/IP settings need some adjustment. The easiest way is to use a tool such as TCPOptimizer (assuming you are PC not Mac) and you'll find details here.

HTH

-Nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sale
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: 9MB at the router, 4.5MB at the desktop

Thanks for the info. I've not much time now, but using the test socket increased the router connection to:

Down Up
      SNR (dB): 7.1 12.5
      Attn(dB): 35.5 20.2
      Pwr(dBm): 1.3 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 12256 864
      Rate (Kbps): 12205 764

So I'll be looking into the filtering on the line. Then onto the TCP/IP settings.

I did expect to take a performance hit moving from cable, but thought the extra 25pm cable costs wasn't worth it to me.

Thanks again, and I'll let you know how I get on.