Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Anyone capped and phoned sky, please post here

This is a discussion on Anyone capped and phoned sky, please post here within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; As there appear to be many of us who seem to have had our connections capped from day one, for ...

joe pineapples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBAL. (Balby)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Anyone capped and phoned sky, please post here

As there appear to be many of us who seem to have had our connections capped from day one, for no apparent reason (other than to give sky CS an easier time), i thought it would be a good idea for anyone who has attempted to do something about it by contacting sky, to the details in one useful thread. Please include...

line stats before
      brief overview of converstion with sky
      what has been done (maybe thus far)
      resulting stats difference if succesful.
      if successful, the overiding argument used to persuade sky to change it.

thanks

joe

2. Advertisement
      bobbyrabbit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horsham, Carfax
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Anyone capped and phoned sky, please post here

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyrabbit View Post
      Well, I actually called support and asked about this. The guy I spoke to said I was 2.1km from the exchange and was lucky to be getting the download speeds I had.

When I said I was on the same download speed as I was when on IPStream Max, he said that due to my local exchange (Carfax, Horsham) not having the facilities for ADSL2+ I am at my maximum speed possible. He said the exchange may be upgraded in time!! I kind of left it there.
      Good post Joe. The above is from another thread i posted. Not really sure what he meant abount the exchange not having the capacity. ADSL1 card inserted instead of ADSL2+ or exchange wont let out a higher throughput than 8096.

I also sent an email to broadbandtechnicalsupport@bskyb.com on the 7th Jan but not received a reply. I think I will contact them again, when I have an hour or so to spare!!

I think the major problem is that the BT Broadband Checker states my speed possible is 3.3Mbps or greater and Sky use this as an initial test. Well actually, just rechecked and it now says 5Mbps or greater now that I am on LLU. Might help things a little!
      Last edited by bobbyrabbit; 12-01-07 at 03:13 PM.

Hughjarse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

cazzbar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South West: SSSOU
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyrabbit
      Well, I actually called support and asked about this. The guy I spoke to said I was 2.1km from the exchange and was lucky to be getting the download speeds I had.
      jeesh, I really hate that "you're lucky to be getting what you're getting" attitude!

I was originally getting about 2Mb downloads and when I phoned BT to fit a new master socket as the first steps to improve my speed (so I could use the test socket etc) an 'expert' field engineer for the area insisted there's no point in changing anything as a line test suggested I'm getting "full power" and that he only gets 1Mb where he lives and "I'm lucky to be getting 2" grrrrrrrrrr He also said to fit a new master socket would be a 60 call out and 100 an hour labour charge! And I should just be "happy" with my current connection...

So I immediately fitted the new socket myself free of charge (had an existing master socket from a discontinued line) plugged into the test socket and instantly got downloads of 7Mb... so much for that guy's "expert" opinion!!

So if upgrading from ADSL1 to ADSL2+ (which I'm paying for!) will give me a significant increase in speed then I'm not accepting any "you're lucky to be getting what you're getting rubbish!!"

Sorry, rant over

Quote Originally Posted by Hughjarse View Post
      Interesting read, I now know what to expect if I call *starts to prepare a strategy*
      Last edited by cazzbar; 12-01-07 at 03:55 PM.

marklid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

(pasted from another post of mine on here)

I was connected the other day to the Max package, was syncing at about 6.5meg (was previously getting about 5 on Plusnet). I rewired my network so that the router was by the main BT socket, sync rate went up to 8096, with a SNR of about 8 and attn of 41-42.

Reading around it looks like I'd been capped so I phoned up technical support (using the freephone number) which was answered in about 2 minutes in what sounded like a UK based call center, spoke to them explaining the situation and asked if I could speak to Tier 3 support, so she put me through.
      I was holding for about 40 minutes (luckily it was a freephone number) then spoke to a guy saying it was probably capped due to the attn and line length.

He logged into my exchange and tried some ADSL2 settings with synced my line at 6.5 meg and gave hundreds of packet errors !
      He said the line would disconect every few minutes with that error rate so we agreed it was probably best to leave it on ADSL1 - the line is rock solid so far so didn't want to tempt fate.

I don't want to downgrade to the Mid package either - I don't want to be in the position I was with Plusnet having to constantly keep an eye on how much bandwidth I was using.

But.. at the end of the day, 8meg is more than enough really so I'm gonna be happy with it!

Dogz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: larklane
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've had sky for a month, initially on the MID package but like you was worried about exceeding 40Gig etc. I looked at my line stats and all seemed fine to go to MAX so I contacted tech support and upgraded at the start of the week. Now my download has gone from syncing at about 6600/6800 to 6000/6100. I'm paying double for a slower connection...think I must be capped.

tomtom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scotstoun
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My experience echos much of what was said above. I was capped at 8096kbps despite being only 450m from exchange and having good line attenuation and noise margin. I phoned Sky 4 or 5 times and each time was told the max my line would do was 2.5mbps despite the fact I was already getting 6.9. I was twice told my complaint had been passed to tier 3 but they never contacted me. I eventually logged a complaint with the ISPA (ISPA - Complaints Procedure) and the following morning I received a call from Sky saying they had increased the speed to 15323 kbps. I'm only getting 9.8mbps (and would still only be getting 3.8 wireless had I not run the TCP Optimizer) but, I'm starting to suspect that's down to the router as I've checked everything else. I may try a different router.