This is a discussion on Speed? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I just read one of the post's on how to check the 'possible' speed you could get by attenuation ...
- 22-12-06, 11:36 PM #1
I just read one of the post's on how to check the 'possible' speed you could get by attenuation etc
So by that my connection seem's a bit .. sluggish
I also used http://www.dslzoneuk.net/checker.php and that came out with possible speeds of 8mb if I remember correctly.
Fastest i've ever got is about 3.7mb and now i've been relegated to 2.1mb
Distance from Exchange = 2.65 miles (as crow flies)
Attenuation = 49.5
SNR - 7.3
Attenuation can goto 51 and SNR to 6.9 or 6.7
I'm actually plugged into the master socket as that's the only socket for this number and the only other thing on it is the phone.
I have 4 micro-filters and changing them makes little difference, only what you'd expect from disconnecting/reconnecting.
Not on windows, I use a mac - you could say 'the original Vista'
- 22-12-06, 11:43 PM #2
Probably not 8meg - more like 6meg is the potential speed with your attenuation.
I know you say that only the master socket is used but to avoid all possible local noise/interference you need to compare the master socket with the test socket which you'll find behind the faceplate (assuming you have a NTE5).
If your router connection speed increases significantly then you would probably benefit from improvements to your connection filtering.
- 23-12-06, 12:21 AM #3
I've taken the faceplate off before so I had my trusty tools within reach and the sockets RIGHT next to the computer table, you just lean to the left and you can unscrew the faceplate
No difference in speeds, though when I put the plate back on re-connected it increased a tad.
Without faceplate - 2210.87 kilobits per second (ts.tools)
With faceplate back on - 2353.35 kilobits per second (ts.tools)
6 meg would be sooo nice, I used to have 3.1 - 3.6 so even 4+ would be nice or the 3+ back for starters.
- 23-12-06, 08:59 AM #4
The slight change when you put the faceplate back on would be easily explained by a tiny shift in the noise margin between the two tests.
If you get no material difference between master socket and test socket then that indicates that whatever is holding your connection back from a higher speed is not your side of your phone wiring. The most likely fault therefore is noise on the line between you and the exchange. Can you hear any crackling/hissing on your voice calls?
One last thing that's bothering me slightly: the figures you give are those reported by your router aren't they? Just curious about the ts.tools reference and that they are to two decimal points. If you are using another utility can you just check that the results tie with what the router admin page "show statistics" reports (downstream connection speed, attenuation and noise margin). Could you post those please?
- 23-12-06, 02:28 PM #5
I was posting the linespeed before not the connection speeds
I re-tested as you asked and got
Attenuation and SNR - 49.5 & 7.3
With faceplate back on ran ts.tools and linespeed (not 3033 conn speed) registered at 2535.44
- 23-12-06, 03:07 PM #6
If both the "before removal" and "back on" connection speeds were at the same noise margin then that's very odd - makes me wonder if you have a socket/cable fault. Do you have another RJ11 cable you could try?
Also, you didn't say whether there was any detectable noise on your voice line.
- 28-12-06, 06:32 PM #7
I changed my ethernet cable and micro-filter and didn't see any real difference.
Had a speed gain of 200 or so but after changing the ethernet cable back I still had it, plus after a random connection loss (gotta love those) it jumped back down.
Att. is at 49.5 and SNR 7.0 for a 2700 odd connection, I did reboot the modem though as I found the connection came back on at SNR 4.9
The problem 'may' be the line to my house goes through a tree's branches
- 10-01-07, 02:58 PM #8
I gave in and phoned Sky Broadband tech. support today and wasted 35 mins and however much a 08705 is at 1pm.
I was asked to run a netstat after I said my speeds had dropped and it wasn't due to times of the day.
Then I got asked to count what was under Active line connection (think thats' right) but it had 6 sub heading's and I asked which.
She didn't seem to have a clue about those so just said the same, I countred everything under ALC (27) and got told it was probably a virus/adware/spyware and I should run mcafee.
I asked again about heading's and she wasn't sure what I wason about and it went on and on and on
It was everything under ACL and I just got told 'run a virus check' phone back if nothing shows.
Installed Virus software (grudgingly) but also swapped the filter they used for another fresh one from the box and line conn. went up (just over 4mb)and so did line speed (3.8).
Funnily this wasn't advice from Sky (you'd think they'd suggest that) as all they'd said was refresh the router which got 3mb line conn.
Not overly impressed with Sky's tech. support
And then you have to laugh as I suddenly got no connection whatsoever for about 20mins + and then when running through Network Diagnostics (again) it suddenly reported a Network Change and the line was up again.
Checked conn and that'd dropped along with line speed (3.2)
Last edited by Brokenwing; 10-01-07 at 04:58 PM.