Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Best connection for gaming servers

This is a discussion on Best connection for gaming servers within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have just switched over to Sky broadband having originally signed up the the Max package. I was getting quite ...

Steve Ryan Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Best connection for gaming servers

I have just switched over to Sky broadband having originally signed up the the Max package. I was getting quite high latency to UK gaming servers, websites etc. 100-130ms.

Now i spoke to several technical minded friends and that said that i should request interleaving off to reduce my latency. I was on the understanding this would also reduce my download speed which i was happy to do. After ringing sky up, they didnt really understand what interleaving was and i couldnt really explain it to them. So i asked for my package to be put down to the base package as i was on the understanding that 2mbps has interleaving off by default, according to some friends.

According to my router im actually on 2mbps but i have interleaving on still apparently. I also still have a stupidly large ping to any UK servers and websites.

When i got max i was told i should get close to 16mbit in my area yet i was told on the phone my connection would only go up to 5mbps.

After reading the forums ive found out some basic information about my connection:

Distance from exhcnage: 1.44km
      Line Attunement: 32db
      Noise Margin: 22db
      Tx b/s: 1876
      Rx b/s: 650

So basically im wondering which connection will be best for gaming and does interleaving get turned up on the 2mbit line by default due to it not being maxADSL or something.

Im not really clued up about all this ADSL stuff, so any help would be appreciated!

Thank you

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      There seems to be some debate and confusion about interleaving with SkyBB products.

Apparently the default is Interleaving ON for the three LLU products though for some reason a number of customers have interleaving OFF i.e. Fastpath, myself included, or at least that's what our routers report it as being.

You should be able to call Sky and ask for interleaving to be turned off - a number of forum members have done this. However, it's the luck of the draw whether you get to speak to a Sky agent who even knows what interleaving is

Interleaving off (Fastpath) should reduce your latency. It will not reduce your speed. However, when on Fastpath your connection is prone to errors and this may cause resends to be made and other nasties. You can only determine whether your line is capable of running without faults on Fastpath by trying it.

You have a good attenuation and you could expect a potential connection speed of close to 16meg with a relatively noise free line.

You may find this and this (ignore the first part and scroll down to interleaving) useful background reading.

hgaule is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackburn
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Where does it say on the router wether the connection is interleaved or fast path? My pings yesterday were about 15-20ms non peak times then about 40-60 peak. Too good for interleave?

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      @hgaule, There is no REAL way to find out unless you call them!

However you may go to the TECH FORUM on this site and use the Router Utility program to obtain the information!

hgaule is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackburn
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Ah yes, I think I will take a look, thx

Brokenwing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford (LWALSH)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      When I spoke to Eclipse about the same thing and explained to the guy on the end of the phone why I wanted Inter-leaving off (I still don't think he quite got it) he said that for it to be ALL the way off the request had to be sent to BT to handle and he'd do that.

A following call regarding the speeds I was getting (equivalent of a 56k modem on crutches to over 1mb) and another tech guy informed me my inter-leaving was off.

So i'm hoping as it's (supposedly) set by BT it's still off.

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Eclipse would be reselling a BT wholesale product so yes, BT would control that. Since this is an LLU option 2 product Sky can set fastpath or interleave.
      Unfortunately it is now Sky policy NOT to change any customers from the default setting of interleave.

Going by the stats posted earlier in the month, there's definetly something wrong somewhere if you're still getting 1.8Mb. Try your test socket, failing that get Sky to log a fault with BT.