Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

20 kb/s downloads on Max!!

This is a discussion on 20 kb/s downloads on Max!! within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, My Max package arrived today but, as you can probably guess from the title, I'm downloading at a ...

Adamish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

20 kb/s downloads on Max!!

Hi guys,
      My Max package arrived today but, as you can probably guess from the title, I'm downloading at a maximum of 37 kb/s and am often going down to 20. Once I actually hit 9kb/s - that's practically dial-up speeds!!! That's pathetic for a 16MB line!!!

I tried that TCP Optimisation program but that's only managed to increase my speeds to 407KB according the the BBMax speed tester. 0.4MB. Hardly 16 is it? And that makes my download speeds about 40kb/s which is hardly an improvement.

Here are my stats from the router page:
      DSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1152 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 61.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 8.2 db 13.0 db

I realise now that my line attenuation means that I can only get around 3MB (they never told me that when I signed up for 16MB!!) but I'm not even reaching anywhere near that!!

So is this possibly because it's the first day of usage? If so, how long will it take to get proper speeds?
      Is there anything I can do to make my speeds better?
      Should I complain to Sky? If so, how? (I'm not partial to spending hours on the phone)
      Will I get good pings when gaming if I'm only reaching up to 3MB? I do play some FPSs.

Thanks in advance for any help.
      Last edited by Wheelie; 08-12-06 at 10:17 AM. Reason: No need to use bad language thanks

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Something seriously wrong there!! You are only connected to the exchange at 1.2mb that would explain to some degree! I am about 1.5 miles from the exchange and I am on Mid package 8mb. I am connected at 8.19mb here are my stats.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 57810 84723 0 105 995 27:45:49
      LAN 10M/100M 692 0 0 1 0 27:47:09
      WLAN 11M/54M 272624 456098 0 2404 1540 27:46:59

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8190 kbps 397 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.0 db 18.2 db
      Noise Margin 9.8 db 26.0 db

After running the TCP Optimisation program I get a test download speed of 6.2mb and can download from
      http://www.btopenworld.com/speedtest at 900kbs to 1.2mb.

I would give them a call if I were you. Take it you have tried rebooting the router etc.

Adamish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ah, how do you reboot the router? I've switched it off and on again.

Does that usually make much difference?

Snowfire is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Dial onto the router and change the channel.

Try 6, 7 or 11.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Adamish

Sorry to say but looking at your stats it looks like your profile isn't set correctly on SkyBB and you have been capped at 416 you really need to call Tech Support and have them look at it, there is a thread here http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6327 with a lot of members who have also got 416 kbps Upstream speed.

I realise you are very frustrated but, please abide by the forum rules while posting and refrain from using bad language or even attempting to hide its still easy to understand and is totally unacceptable.

This is a family orientated board and there are also youngsters reading this board and we aim to keep it as clean as possible.

Thanks!
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here