Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

help ! is this the max speed for me ?

This is a discussion on help ! is this the max speed for me ? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; i have been with sky for the past approx 6 weeks. my only problem is that is this the max ...

hans Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

help ! is this the max speed for me ?

i have been with sky for the past approx 6 weeks. my only problem is that is this the max speed i will ever get.i am on mid package upto 8mb.i have checked and been through the master socket and internal wiring scenario.
      my figures are according to netgear router.
      downstream upstream time
      connection 3776 416 19.00
      line att 56.0db 31.5db
      noise margin 4.6db 14.0db
      3776 416 13.30
      56.0db 31.5db
      8.6db 14.0db
      please note figures from two differnt days. any comments help from technical sevvy guys will be appreciated
      thanks

2. Advertisement
      Bandboard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Snr

You have high attenuation so in turn your signal loss seems to be very high - (SNR).

Its possible you can talk to Sky's technical team and get your line adjusted to deal with your poor SNR and high Attenuation this would improve throughput making your connection feel a bit faster.

You also might want to check your line length using a web site such as www.samknows.com if you have a shorter line than 2.5 - 3 km you would most likley find that the signal degradation is happening within your house and should try from your test socket to ascertain if greater SNR is seen from the test socket. In that case your internal wiring may be to blame.

If your downsteam SNR is as low as 4.5 Db you may want to ask Sky to cap your line speed further.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Based on the attenuation you entered, we estimate that your line can support around 2.0 - 4.0 Mbps on ADSL2+ aka MAX!

Also you seem to have the 416kbps UPLOAD issue?
      See;http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6327