Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Why is the Netgear so slow?

This is a discussion on Why is the Netgear so slow? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Connection Speed 1728 kbps 416 kbps Line Attenuation 63 db 31 db Noise Margin 7 db 14 db I got ...

Paul_H is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wokingham (THWM)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Why is the Netgear so slow?

Connection Speed 1728 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 14 db

I got connected to Max today, when the service came online my Linksys WAG354G was still connected. So rather than mess around I just changed the Username and password to the one for the new Sky account. The Linksys immediately connected up at 1600+kbps, did a reboot on the router and second time around it connected at 1728kbps.

Not great improvement over my previous fixed 1Mbps connection but I know I'm over 4km from the exchange and was never going to get that fast a service.

But then I changed over tho the Sky supplied Netgear, the speed drop to just over 1200kbps, even after a couple of reboots it still did not manage to sync at much over the 1200kbps.

So why the vast difference in speeds between the Linksys and the Netgear?

Is there a way to increase the connection speed on an extremely long line?

2. Advertisement
      NoXioUs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bolton LOC
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      There are ways but with ur 63db line noise im affraid that the most you could hope for on adsl2+ is 2 to 4 meg.
      http://www.dslzoneuk.net/maxspeed2.php
      put your noise in that and it will work out roughly what you will get as a maximum.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      You could always downgrade to BASE?

But then remember your paying for the UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH?

overpants is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: croydon
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Trial And Error Before Getting Results

I got the MAX package beginning of Nov. First I tried using Netgear router with Belkin wireless card very irratic.. Then found out i was using a network cable that was too long to properly configure router. As router is in room next to computer.. Got a reasonable connection when i bought a usb 2 card and bought a Netgear usb wireless adapter. Getting bottlenecks though where i'd leave connection for 2 hours to comeback to find connection slowed.
      Eventually read stuff about using another router. Using my old belkin router modem now with netgear usb and connection is really good and consistent, touch wood. I tell you it was a long haul ringing support and scrutiny on forums.