Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

What download speed should I be getting?

This is a discussion on What download speed should I be getting? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; For all you techies out there, can you give your verdicts on my current performance: Connection Speed Downstream 8096 kbps ...

MickL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horbury Ossett
      Broadband ISP: Max (allegedly)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

What download speed should I be getting?

For all you techies out there, can you give your verdicts on my current performance:

Connection Speed
      Downstream 8096 kbps
      Upstream 448 kbps

Line Attenuation
      Downstream 15.5 db
      Upstream 17.5 db

Noise Margin
      Downstream 8.6 db
      Upstream 22.0 db

Sky Package Connect

Distance from exchange 885m (straight line)

I've run a variety of speedtests, with the best one coming back at 3792 kbps download & 292 kbps upload.

I've run TCPOptimizer (was only getting 2600 kbps before).

Anyone any idea what speed I should expect given the details above?

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      You have good downstream attenuation and your router is connected at the maximum for your package.

You should be able to get nearly twice the actual download speed you are getting. To see if your connection quality is degrading this try plugging your router directly into the test socket behind the front panel of your mastersocket.

Your router connection stats will stay unchanged so it's the speedtest you're interested in.

Use this site as a before and after as it's one of the most reliable in my experience:

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

MickL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horbury Ossett
      Broadband ISP: Max (allegedly)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      .......You should be able to get nearly twice the actual download speed you are getting. To see if your connection quality is degrading this try plugging your router directly into the test socket behind the front panel of your mastersocket.
      Thanks Saturday - I've got an old style mastersocket (it's around 2 inches square with only one socket - under the faceplate is nothing but wires!).

Out of the mastersocket, I've got a filter with my phone & router connected in the necessart sockets.

Would you suggest me replacing (or getting BT to replace) the mastersocket with a new style one (i.e. one with a test socket)?

It was with speedtest.bbmax that I've been getting my best speeds (in fact I've run the test 10 times since I made my original post & have had the following results - 3534, 3703, 3631, 3653, 3747, 3739, 3782, 3773, 3785, 3427).

Cheers

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Difficult to say. Do you have any extensions elsewhere in the house which are running off this socket? If so unplug any phones and your Sky TV box(s) and try again. If you get better speeds then it may be worth investing in an upgraded mastersocket. You are on Connect though so you are at the mercy of BT line congestion. It seems sometimes 3-4 meg is as good as you get.

Your options are to pay BT (expect 150) or wire a new NTE5 into your existing mastersocket and then run everything in the house off this (~20).

Of course if you were having intermittent voice problems - particularly if you noticed a crackly line when you jiggled the phone connection in your current socket (that's a hint) - and reported it as a fault to BT then the BT engineer that will come round may well fit a new socket for you for free, especially if you were nice to him/her.