Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Increasing my BB speeds

This is a discussion on Increasing my BB speeds within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ideally the FEC errors should be a lot lower than that, but I would just leave it be for now. ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Increasing my BB speeds

Ideally the FEC errors should be a lot lower than that, but I would just leave it be for now. DLM will be pick these errors up and adjusting your line as required.

Under normal circumstances I would expect the connection speed to be a little higher than what you have it at the moment, but DLM needs to be allowed to do it's piece first.

DLM should take up to 10 days to complete from when it started. This is normally around 3 days after your connection goes live.

3 days after DLM has completed the initial profiling you should be able to view what it has done by logging into your My Sky account.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

2. Advertisement
      Magpies80 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESSYB - Stoneyburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Asus DSL-N55U
      Thanks

FEC for upload ~ 1300 in 31mins. Not sure what I can do about them. I will leave it for DLM to complete. Still no CRC's or HEC's so that's good.

What do you reckon I'll get once complete up/down?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Before answering that, with BT what were the connection stats? (i.e. Line Attenuation, SNR/Noise Margin, and error rates)

You mentioned that the connection speed was 19.5mb. Was this before or after you tweaked the SNR figure?

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Magpies80 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESSYB - Stoneyburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Asus DSL-N55U
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Before answering that, with BT what were the connection stats? (i.e. Line Attenuation, SNR/Noise Margin, and error rates)

You mentioned that the connection speed was 19.5mb. Was this before or after you tweaked the SNR figure?
      Attenuation was 24, SNR ~6, error rates fairly low, synced ~20.x. Before I got new router, during and before and after tweaking with new router. The only other thing I could think of is it dropped after a tie pair shift when BT DONE A MASS MIGRATION after I had manually moved onto 21cn when my exchange upgraded and they turned mine off and was without BB for 2 weeks until they could sort out a new card for me to be onto as they had moved everyone in village onto 21cn and had no capacity left - was not a happy chap at that.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

FEC errors, being corrected errors, are little to worry about. They indicate that Interleaving is turned on so your Ping may suffer. HEC and CRC errors are the ones which can cause problems, as each one means a packet has to be resent, slowing down the connection and in extreme cases causing the connection to resync at a lower rate. Both are caused by noise on the line.

As you are able to increase the speed by lowering your noise margin, I would say your line is already uncapped.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12