Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

speed issues! Help!

This is a discussion on speed issues! Help! within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hello, i was browsing through the web n found this great site! finally somewhere which might be able to help ...

sky user Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

speed issues! Help!

hello, i was browsing through the web n found this great site! finally somewhere which might be able to help me out!!! lollll
      been having probs with the speed.... before you guys say anything im not running on extension wires direct connection & i get this speed DownStream Connection Speed 3781 kbps UpStream Connection Speed 766 kbps. BUTT i just hooked it all up through the test socket after unplugging my face plate and got speeds of 6435 kbps upstream!!! a big jump.
      I wanted 2 ask whether i need 2 change the face plate itself to a new one like that shown on
      http://www.clarity.it/xcart/home.php?cat=262 or http://www.adslnation.com/products/xtespec.php??????

Oh before i forget how do i get my line stats i.e snr n all that???

sorry im not very clued up with this stuff :S

2. Advertisement
      hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      go into your router http://192.168.0.1/ and scroll down, click the button marked show statistics and copy and paste the results.

I have the ADSL Nation facepate xte2005 and it works great for me!

davids is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Finchley
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi,

I'm another Sky Max user who is unhappy with his download speed. I have been connected to Sky Broadband for five weeks now. I'm using a short extension lead from the master socket to an extension socket.

When I use the speed testers, they fairly consistently show 1,950kbps download and 110kbps upload speeds - a long way short of 16 Meg! It seems to be the same whether I use an Ethernet connection or a wireless connection. I'm on the North Finchley exchange and when I look at the website that shows expected speed, the response I get is, as follows:

Expected Speed (MAX): 3 Mb
      Expected Speed (Uncapped): 1 Mb

This makes me wonder why Sky sold me the 16Mbps Max service or have I missed something?

My Router statistics are, as follows:

System Up Time 267:39:46
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 552125 652697 0 45 490 267:37:48
      LAN 10M/100M 649743 560903 0 502 58 267:39:44
      WLAN 11M/54M 2124 34 0 0 0 267:39:34

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2335 kbps 133 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54.0 db 35.1 db
      Noise Margin 15.8 db 23.0 db

I would much appreciate any assistance anyone can give me as to whether 1,950kbps is the best I can hope for or are there things I can do to improve upon this speed?

Thanks, David

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Do you have a modern master socket with a faceplate? If so have you tried the test socket under the faceplate? If internal wirin gis causing any drop in speed this will ley you know!

davids is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Finchley
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yes, Hugsie, I tried that but no difference in the speed, unfortunately.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      With your attenuation at 54db the maximum speed you could hope to connect at would be ~3500.

Sky Max is an up to 16000 product. If you don't need the unlimited usage Max then you should consider Mid or Base.

You are currently connecting at 2335 from your stats. The reason that it isn't closer to 3500 is because you have a noise margin of 15.8. As the router will normally sync at 6.9, I presume you must have last booted at a noisy time of day (e.g. around 8:00 in the evening) and your stats were taken at a quieter time of day.

High noise margin is good because the router has more in hand to deal with noise increases. However a higher than needed margin means a lower speed. On a noisy, long line you may have to trade speed for stability.

Speedtesters are not a terribly reliable way to test speeds as they are sensitive to server load. A good ftp download will be more reliable. In any event, though you may have a router connection speed of 2335 this doesn't mean you can download at 2335. There are overheads in a connection and 1950 you're getting from a test site is actually very close to what you'd expect.

In summary, you're getting as good as possible speeds from your connection considering your line characteristics.

Hellfire is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bowes Park
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I too have been having slow connections despite paying for a MAX package. I spoke to Sky yesterday and they confirm they are having technical problems which can slow download speeds. They suggested getting back to them in a couple of weeks if it had not improved