Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

What speed should I get? - Something's not right

This is a discussion on What speed should I get? - Something's not right within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'd really appreciate some advice on my issues. To give you a little background, I'm moving from bulldog to Sky ...

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

What speed should I get? - Something's not right

I'd really appreciate some advice on my issues.

To give you a little background, I'm moving from bulldog to Sky for my BB. I've got two lines into my house and I've had Sky activated on the one that Bulldog have never touched.

After some hassle I've finally been connected to Sky on the second line and have now given Bulldog notice to finish my service. On bulldog I'm getting a fairly steady 6.5Mbit service.

Sky have activated me and I'm getting a sync speed of 9997kbps down and 7XX up (I can't log into my router right now to get the exact figure). However I'm only getting 6.5Mbit max on my new connection, the same as my old Bulldog line. Sad

My DS attenuation is 23db and my line length is approx 1.5Km

Everywhere I look online (Wiki, here etc) I'm being told that with a line length like this and attenuation the same as mine I should get between 14 and 18Mbit.

Sky insist that I should only be getting a sync speed of 8XXXkbps on my line (according to their checker). Are they right or is every site I've visited right?

2. Advertisement
      Amaboknaai is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276 Camberley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC68U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Register please and you will probably get a response. Anonymous posts do not usually elicit detailed responses, since you will get asked questions about details such as your exchange / package etc which will become apparent in your registration details.
      Last edited by Amaboknaai; 20-10-06 at 06:38 AM.

dellwear is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: emmontf
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Sorry was late at night and I didn't have the time to register.

Any advice would be great guys.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      You've given your attenuation figure (which is excellent) but not your noise margin. With your attenuation with a "normal" quality line your router should be able to sync at somewhere close to 16000 (e.g. mine syncs at ~13000 with an attenuation of 38.5).

As your router is connecting at a lower than expected speed this is usually a good indication that you have a noisy line - probably your internal wiring but could be the BT line.

An easy way to test this would be to unscrew the lower front panel of your master socket and plug your router into the hidden socket that you'll find. If your router syncs at a higher speed then your internal wiring is adding noise. This is usually easily fixed by fitting a cheap filtered faceplate.

Let us know how you get on and post your router stats.

You may also find this sub forum useful:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62