Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Something to try...

This is a discussion on Something to try... within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I used to have BT 's 2Mb service which never really gave me any problems and as a long-time Sky ...

ArtyCarl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Something to try...

I used to have BT's 2Mb service which never really gave me any problems and as a long-time Sky TV user I jumped at the opportunity to switch over and receive 16Mbps for 16 less a month than BT.

I was one of the first to get it installed and as with a lot of people was underwhelmed at the speeds I was getting. The max speed I could get during the first couple of weeks was around 2.5Mbps and while that was slightly better than BT, and for less money, I still felt a little cheated.

I called Sky and spent a long while on the phone but the person was unable to help me and said someone would call back.

I am a Mac user and he really had no idea about how Macs work but I waited nonetheless. Three weeks passed and no call and so I settled into the lower expectation of sub 3Mbps Broadband.

That was until the last couple of days when the speed has been terribly slow. Just accessing webpages reminded me of my 56k modem days and several speed tests returned values in the low hundred kbs.

So I called Sky again this time to have a right moan but the chap I spoke to asked if i'd done a Master Reset of the Router.

I had reset the damned thing a thousand times but importantly he said HOLD THE RESET BUTTON IN FOR 15 SECONDS.

Amazingly upon reboot and as if by magic all my problems were sorted. My first speed test gave a reading of nearly 10Mbps and it has constantly been higher than 9 ever since.

I'm sorry if i'm repeating old advice but I did take a look around the forums and havn't come across that one yet so it might be worth a try if you are having similar problems.

Good Luck.

2. Advertisement
      Godzilla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke (THBZ)
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Humax FreesatHD
      Thanks

What reset button?

I was quite excited to see your solution to the speed problem, but my router does not seem to even have a reset button. Either I'm missing something (quite possible !!) or I have a different router box. Any ideas? Mine is a Netgear DG834GT connecting at around 2MB on the Max package.

Cheers
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 19-10-06 at 07:44 PM. Reason: removed quoted preceeding post ;-)

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      It is not so much a button as a tiny pinhole on the back of the router, you need to stick a pen in and hold it for 25 seconds. It will reset your router to factory defaults.

NPG2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01189306621
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Will a factory reset lose any of the settings like the wireless SSID names and the passwords for the router etc??

Thanks
      Yes if you have made any changes these will be lost, and the log in will return to admin sky. So if you do make sure you note your settings or save a config file to reload!

Thanks

Ahaaa!

Thanks Hugsie - I'll give it a try and let you know the result

Thanks
      Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the Master reset as described but I'm afraid it made no difference. I'm beginning to think I'm just stuck with the 2MB. In fact that is still twice what BT tell me I can expect from my line, so I shouldn't complain really, but that doesn't stop me trying.

Cheers all

Thanks
      It is always worth trying if only to reassure yourself you are not missing out on an improvement with an easy fix.

SteCole77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Manchester Irlam - MRIRL
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      hi all,

Just a little thought...

If you save a backup file from the router and then restore it after a reset, does this not run the risk of importing some form of corruption?

I don't know exactly whats in the file but i have experiance of this in my line of work.

You can save all the critical nvm values... (non-volitile memory.. )... so as to restore it after a software reload but some times you save a pile of poo which nakers the machine again once reloaded.

Just a thought and might not aply here but corruption can lurk in strange places!

As there are not that many settings i would personaly go for the pen and paper restore route!