Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

so slow downloads

This is a discussion on so slow downloads within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Can anyone suggest anything about my slow download speeds before i reluctantly phone the slow to respond helpline. At the ...

slysnodger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

so slow downloads

Can anyone suggest anything about my slow download speeds before i reluctantly phone the slow to respond helpline. At the most my fastest download has been around 12 kb/s, i might as well go back to dial-up at this rate. I'm on sky connect, and had no probs with wanadoo which was only on the 1mb package. Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      djjerryatric is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01375
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited - that's a laugh!
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks
      That is slow- I've just had a phone call from technical (finally! - it took them a week) He told me that the most he could tweak out of my system is 3mb (interference, wiring, stray puppies on the line etc) He didn't seem very knowledgable - never heard of BRAS, interleaving etc (and I'm a right punter)
      He assured me that the system was more stable and not being able to access, crashing etc were probably a thing of the past. Well it worked........for 25 minutes.

So I rang the help line, waited 20+ minutes. You know I quite like the music-it's all the sky blurbs, telling me how good they are, I can't stand.
      That particular "case number" is now closed, so I'm waiting for a supervisor to ring me - it may take 5 days
      Pipex were expensive. But after the first couple of days, I never had any downtime, exceptionally slow speeds etc in the -nearly- 2 years I was with them- and that's using the same computer,phone line, local exchange - even the same puppy dogs. Spot the missing link.

rcaudwell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Southport
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Exactly the same problem with Sky connect, having been on Pipex 2mb without any problems. Had my call back from Tier 3 who got me to do a speed test (250 kbps) then said, "yes there is a problem on your line" and told me it would be another 5 days before they even got around to doing any more tests, then they would call me again.
      They seem to be desperate to blame anything else for the problems, so far I`ve had them blame (in no particular order) BT, my line, my computer, my Sky box phone line, me (for getting the connections wrong- which I hadn`t), spyware/viruses and Pipex themselves.
      It`s not rocket science, the only thing that`s changed is the provider, nothing else.
      I`ve emailed Watchdog (for all the good that would do) but it would be nice to see someone from Sky squirm on TV over this shambles.

old mcdonal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by rcaudwell View Post
      Exactly the same problem with Sky connect, having been on Pipex 2mb without any problems. Had my call back from Tier 3 who got me to do a speed test (250 kbps) then said, "yes there is a problem on your line" and told me it would be another 5 days before they even got around to doing any more tests, then they would call me again.
      They seem to be desperate to blame anything else for the problems, so far I`ve had them blame (in no particular order) BT, my line, my computer, my Sky box phone line, me (for getting the connections wrong- which I hadn`t), spyware/viruses and Pipex themselves.
      It`s not rocket science, the only thing that`s changed is the provider, nothing else.
      I`ve emailed Watchdog (for all the good that would do) but it would be nice to see someone from Sky squirm on TV over this shambles.

i guess the slow speed is between 6pm??? & midnight if so then no suprise.... during the day for me the speed is lightning fast about 6/7megs.

sky tier 3 told me that the slowness could be due to street lighs, central heating..... basically its all cr@p excuses, sorry but this is total poo they think the customers are thick, but ADSL is not new, it has been around now for sometime and users know if there connection is slow or fast... & because like you this did not happen on my old isp for years working 24/7
      i personally feel that theres no hardware and software changes you can do on your machine, if you are getting slowness during peak hours and its running fine outside these hours. simple...... sky or bt for whatever reason are capping/slowing etc your line at peak ours and giving us customers a poor excuse. - sky tier3 have done test on my line during off peak hours and no problems found, now i need them to carry out test during the evening, its a bit difficult at the moment to call tier3 as they wont accept calls because of the number of backlogs they need to deal with. Once i get through then they will see my line is slow in the evening, and then i will ask them whether this can be dealt with or not.

rcaudwell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Southport
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by old mcdonal View Post
      i guess the slow speed is between 6pm??? & midnight if so then no suprise.... during the day for me the speed is lightning fast about 6/7megs.

sky tier 3 told me that the slowness could be due to street lighs, central heating..... basically its all cr@p excuses, sorry but this is total poo they think the customers are thick, but ADSL is not new, it has been around now for sometime and users know if there connection is slow or fast... & because like you this did not happen on my old isp for years working 24/7
      i personally feel that theres no hardware and software changes you can do on your machine, if you are getting slowness during peak hours and its running fine outside these hours. simple...... sky or bt for whatever reason are capping/slowing etc your line at peak ours and giving us customers a poor excuse. - sky tier3 have done test on my line during off peak hours and no problems found, now i need them to carry out test during the evening, its a bit difficult at the moment to call tier3 as they wont accept calls because of the number of backlogs they need to deal with. Once i get through then they will see my line is slow in the evening, and then i will ask them whether this can be dealt with or not.
      I almost wish it was just in the evening, I get the pleasure of sub 1meg speeds anytime, day or night.

Thanks

slow speeds and regular diconnections

I had contact with Henry, a really helpful tech guy last night. He said that there is some problem with my connection. Although dbs figures are good - 9.6 and 9.0, there's a very high attenuation - 59.0 and 31.5. (He tweaked the dbs figures up from about 6dbs) There's a problem somewhere.

Nobody seems to have an answer as to why I had 2 years of reasonable speeds and no disconnections with Pipex. I was trying to quit Sky, but I'll stay with them as long as I'm getting a response from technical..

Although a BT guy already checked my line recently, I'm going to get a more thorough checkup done. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now but, even after Henry's work. it's still disconnecting and showing instability (that's without discussing the websites that I can't seem to access..........

Thanks

getting better

A lot better today. The Zone Alarm problem is solved and it's been continuously on line for 24 hours now (except for when my computer crashed just after downloading an AVG update- worrying

Download speed is still naff. Officially 2.7 meg but I'm only getting 50+k max on Limewire and a Quicktime7 download

You can see by my photo what all this is doing to me - after all, I'm only 23.........

Thanks
      p.s I've got a very high attenuation reading (59db and 31.5db) That's the root of all my troubles now - don't know how I'm going to improve on that.....

creative is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

what a joke

connect at 3mb, but only get 15kps download.

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Could you post your stats creative? Have you run the tcp optimser from the sticky in this forum yet? It is worth a shot.