Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

What sync speed should I be getting? Attenuation of 39.5 dB

This is a discussion on What sync speed should I be getting? Attenuation of 39.5 dB within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So I signed to up Sky Broadband Unlimited back in early August, after a number of screw ups and BT ...

ant_thomas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackfriars
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

What sync speed should I be getting? Attenuation of 39.5 dB

So I signed to up Sky Broadband Unlimited back in early August, after a number of screw ups and BT Openreach engineers not turning up when booked I finally got my broadband activated after 4 weeks, numerous phone calls, forums posts, emails and tweets.

My line stats at this moment currently are...

Sync Speed - 4544 kbps
      Attenuation - 39.5 dB
      Noise Margin - 17.3 dB

This is much too slow. After the original 10 day testing phase Sky decided that my line would support a max of 6.1 mbps and that was the profile I was put on. I know for a fact that my attenuation/margin stat puts me in the 8-10 mbps region. I contacted them over the Live Chat and my sync speeds shot up to 9mbps and rose to about 9.5 mbps. Then they decided to put me back on another 10 days of testing even though things were working absolutely fine. Download speeds were as expected at 9.5 mbps and I was happy.

Now it flicks between 4 mbps and 6 mbps throughout the day during testing.

I fear I'm going to end up in a cycle of telling them to increase the sync/profile manually, getting around 9 mbps, then ending up back on 10 days of testing and crawling along at 4 mbps.

I know 39.5 dB isn't a stunning line attenuation stat but it is certainly capable of the 8-10 mbps region.

Is there anything I can do other than keep asking for a manual speed of around 9 mbps?

Router is plugged into a microfilter and I've taken the faceplate off and plugged directly into the master socket. I don't have a landline phone plugged in. It just goes...

Master socket ----- micro filter ----- router

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: What sync speed should I be getting? Attenuation of 39.5 dB

ADSL2+ Speed Test

We estimate your line is capable of between 9mb to 10mb broadband on an ADSL2+ service. This ADSL2 Line Speed Calculator is a best guess only, as to the broadband speed that maybe possible on your telephone line. The checker provides results of up to 24mb with the data that is made available to us. This is purely for indication only and should not be classed as the Line Speed that you would receive on any ADSL or LLU product from another ISP.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

First try switching the power to your router off for a minute, then on again. If your speed does not increase all you can do is get on to Sky again and ask them to increase your speed. There is a good chance there is a fault on your line causing your speed to be reduced. Check your line for noise by plugging a corded phone direct into the Test socket, dial one digit and listen*. The line should be clear of any crackles or pops.

* Alternately call Zoe by dialling 17070 and do the test at option 4.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I contacted them on the live chat again yesterday and the advisor took me off line testing and decided that my line should support 10.3 mbps. I was placed on that profile and it was syncing around 8.5 mbps, which is reasonable. But it every so often drops to 4.3 mbps meaning I have to reboot or disconnect the line to get it back up to the 8.5 mbps mark.

I'm guessing this is a definite issue with nosie on the line then?

I suppose I should buy a phone and plug it in to test!

Any idea what the next step is if there's an issue with the line? Do I speak to Sky or BT?

Thanks

Any idea what the next step is if there's an issue with the line? Do I speak to Sky or BT?
      If there is noise on your line, report it to whoever you pay the phone rental to. If you are still with BT do not mention broadband when you make the report, only that there is noise on your line. If you mention broadband and you are not with BT broadband you are liable to be fobbed off.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm with Sky for both phone and broadband so I guess I'll go through Sky if there's noise.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Bought a phone, done the Zoe tests and there doesn't seem to be any noise on the line.

Is there generally a reason why the router will be happy at 8-10mbits then after a few hours it will disconnect and drop down to 4mbits when it reconnects? Could it be a router issue or is it more likely to be a line problem that is intermittent?

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

most likely some noise or interference of some kind , this will cause router lose sync or drop connect eventually dropping speed post router stats from test socket swap filters also just incase you could try another dsl cable or use ordinary telephone cable to connect router if you see no change then best to call tech support for line tests and dont let them fob off with just resetting your line

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Found the fault.

This might sound ridiculous but it's my bathroom lights. I made a bash script to log the sync speed (posted in another thread) and the connection only drops when the bathroom lights are turned on.

The lights are 12V spots running off transformers. The property is rented and I think the telephone cable passes above the ceiling of the bathroom. It seems these transformers are noisy and causing the dropout and preventing the router from resyncing at a higher speed.

Thanks

Its not ridiculous, its just another thing to add to the list which includes the treadmill in the playroom, the old freezer in the garage, the old lady next doors TV and many others. No doubt if you search you will find a filter which will help reduce the interference.

TomD

Useful Utilites