Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Major slow speeds on Sky connect !

This is a discussion on Major slow speeds on Sky connect ! within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hmmm, suddenly seems to be fine now....

slayer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: blackfriar
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Major slow speeds on Sky connect !

Hmmm, suddenly seems to be fine now.

2. Advertisement
      PixieDave is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01349
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi all
      sorry to kinda hijack this post but i came across this site when i was trying to look into my own sky connect speed problem.

I moved to sky a few months ago from another ISP

When i first got up and running and i have to say it was a smooth change over no down time what so ever and got an average connection speed of about 2Mbs but over the last maybe 2 months iv been having regular slow speed and even connection issues tonight i did a speed test from speedtest.net

my results were
      Download 0.23mb/s
      Upload 0.29Mb/s
      Ping 73ms

iv rung there T.S. a couple of times regaring this and done all the usual tests like BT master socket , Test Socket even tested on a laptop and sill all the same issues

I spoke with a member of ther investigation team (can remember the correct name) and was basically told its down to the ammount of users they have on the network

since then its got even worse i play a fair bit of online gaming and play manygames like BF2,CSS,L4D.L4D2,F1 2010 and on all my games i get regular time out and now my router flashes amber then red kicks me out of what ever game im playing then as soon as i get back to Desktop the connection picks up again!

Tbh this is really starting to annoy me, i believe im in a 12 month contract how easy is it to get out of the contract down to the shocking level of service im recieving, i was with my last isp for 7 - 8 years before there service went poor and i change to sky on advioce from another sky customer that stays in a different area and almost always gets the full 8mbs

anyone got any ideas on how to move forward with this?

also i was told that withe the DL limit of 40gig if you go over that then your line gets caped ok fair enough i can agree with that since i never go over it but i was told that if you maybe use your connection alot one week then your line gets caped there and then they dont wait for you to go over your 40gig TBH thats BS if i wanna use my connection that i pay for alot one week then TBH i should be given the right to do just that!

40gig works out to be just over 1 gig a day ok a lot when its said like that but lets say i want to format and dont back things up and think ill just download them again u could download say 6-10 gig in a week no problem but then your line gets caped before you can even use the net!

sorry about my rant and hijacking this post

any advice on what to do would be great not to mention the last year long saga iv had with SKY TV and signal issues just to be told by an engineer a year on, its the tree across the rd and he said he cant believe the 4 engineers that were out before failed to tell me this, instead they put a new LMB on ran new cable and gave me 3 Sky boxes to try lol

cheers for any help in advance

David

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

PixieDave
      Hi there has been many who have left in contract have a look at http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...ect-users.html and here is a thread about leaving in contract http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...ustomer-3.html Does your exchange have any ISPs with LLU you can look at your exchange on SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search The 40gb download is 1.3gb Daily. This thread started to help connect Customers http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...owed-down.html

jabbashouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Ok i have had this issue with almost dialup speeds with my sky connect 8mb package and theres not a thing you can do according to a Sky customer and Technical adviser.

Basically this is what i have been told as of a few days ago. Sky do not own the lines that run from the Connect service unlike the unlimited service which runs on a Sky owned line. Therefore Sky Connect customers are at the mercy of BT who are the ones that rent the line to Sky, who then in turn lease it to Sky Connect Customers. BT can throttle aggressively on the Connect package and in most cases they can perminatly cap you, if this happens then you need to ring Sky they will reset your internet at their end, but thats only a temporary fix as BT can just reapply the cap.

So to continue Sky have told me this that they have no control of the Connect package and have oppologiesed that for me i was miss sold the service hense im now leaving to go with BT, i had to rench it out of them as well.

So my advice is if it aint broke then dont change isp, sorry for the bad news on this subject but no amount of posting nor ring Sky will solve the Connect package issue.

They did say that in November 2011 they were going to court with BT to get some of there vacant lines that BT are with holding, if Sky win....(i doubt they will, and even then BT can drag the court case out for years to come), if they win then there is a possibility that some of the Connect packages in the UK might be transfered to an actual Sky line.

If you cannot get Sky unlimited in your area then i would strongly change to either BT unlimited or Virgins 50meg Superhub.

Thank you.

Pls note, what has been typed above is all what was told to me by two Sky representatives.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jabbashouse View Post
      Ok i have had this issue with almost dialup speeds with my sky connect 8mb package and theres not a thing you can do according to a Sky customer and Technical adviser....
      Please DO NOT SPAM THE FORUM with this complaint on every single Connect thread or you will be banned.

You have already stated this in your previous post in the Sky Connect FAQ thread.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234