Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Low speeds...

This is a discussion on Low speeds... within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well the good news is you are syncing (connecting at) a good speed, but it seems your not able to ...

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Well the good news is you are syncing (connecting at) a good speed, but it seems your not able to use the speed there are a couple of things you can do.

First try and download from this FTP link: FTP

As this will give a more accurate indication of your speed.

then try running the TCP optimiser TCP Optimser
      set it to an 8 meg connection and check the box that says modify network adapters. Click optimal settings and apply changes make sure that back up changes is ticked in the box that pops up and than click ok.

You can go back to your old settings if needs be but it has worked for a some people.

then try the test again and see if your results are better.

Any questions post back

2. Advertisement
      ARH
      ARH is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Thanks LNB.

My big concern is whether my connection speed will improve. If I leave it past the 8 day cancellation clause and it doesn't get better, then I will be seriously cheesed off !

Thanks
      If the optimiser works you should see the results straight after the reboot.
      The FTP will give you a more accurate indication than most speed tests of your actual speed.

ARH
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      TCP Optimizer seems to have made no difference.

The FTP was interesting. As soon as it started I was getting speeds of around 600K/s! But this dropped, dropped further and settled around 75K/s. This is less than a third of the speed I had with my previous 2Mbps service from Demon.

My brother is still with Demon, about the same distance from the same exchange and has just tried the same FTP test, he's getting over 200K/s from his 2Mbps service!

Thanks
      Are you connected through ethernet or wirelessly to the router?

ARH
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Wirelessly via a Netgear WG311T 108Mbps PCI card.

Signal strength Good, Speed 108Mbps.

Connected via Ethernet earlier today - didn't improve. I can't see the point in having a wireless router if you are connected to it via a cable!!!

Cheers

Thanks
      I agree I was just trying to identify where the issue may be. If you have a look here the information may be useful.
      Also you could try ringing Sky and asking to speak with a supervisor. Speak to them about your concerns that you cannot match speeds on your old ISP and you wish to be able to assess the connection after the ten day training period, as if you can't you will be forced to cancel the service just in case it does not improve. See what they say. It is worth a shot. If they agree ask them to email you confirmation in case of any later issues.

rcaudwell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Southport
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by hugsie View Post
      I agree I was just trying to identify where the issue may be. If you have a look here the information may be useful.
      Also you could try ringing Sky and asking to speak with a supervisor. Speak to them about your concerns that you cannot match speeds on your old ISP and you wish to be able to assess the connection after the ten day training period, as if you can't you will be forced to cancel the service just in case it does not improve. See what they say. It is worth a shot. If they agree ask them to email you confirmation in case of any later issues.

Having exactly the same problem with speed, starts well but withing a few seconds with any download drops through the floor. I am well out of the 8 day cancellation but they have been "looking into the problem" for most of that. At the end of the day they aren`t providing the service they are advertising or I am paying for, where I can prove my previous provider did, so on those grounds legally they can`t stop you cancelling without paying for the whole year)

loki is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WESTERN (WSWES)
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      There are a number of threads around here that say that it will take anything up to 10 days for your speed to be at it's best. If you have a look around you might find these threads
      I think it needs to be reiterated that this is NOT the case for anybody on ADSL2+. There is no traning period for that whatsoever.

Just Cause is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by hugsie View Post
      then try running the TCP optimiser TCP Optimser
      set it to an 8 meg connection and check the box that says modify network adapters. Click optimal settings and apply changes make sure that back up changes is ticked in the box that pops up and than click ok.

You can go back to your old settings if needs be but it has worked for a some people.

then try the test again and see if your results are better.

Any questions post back
      Isn't this just going to have an affect on the one box on the private network only? I don't see any point in it if more than one box has the exact same speed issue/s.

Only on a knackered pc or a pc that is configured incorrectly will this be of use.

My guess is this will be the minority but worth a try if you are only having a problem with one box.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast