Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Am I The Worse -230 kbps!

This is a discussion on Am I The Worse -230 kbps! within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Help. A complete newbie here! I have read all the forums and I thought I knew a bit but now ...

ammers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Am I The Worse -230 kbps!

Help. A complete newbie here! I have read all the forums and I thought I knew a bit but now I'm bamboozled by all the science, settings and tweaks. I have transferred to SKy from BT with usual nightmare. Broadband down for 5 days when promised it would be seemless, no router arrived, 20 mins phone calls etc. Anyway pain over I thought....

With BT it was great but now it seems like dial up. I have 8mb connect package.

Plus router page says:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7904 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 23.0 db 13.5 db
      Noise Margin 15.6 db 24.0 db

I have all the filters correctly fitted (treble checked) and nothing is amiss in BT system other than PC is on 1st extension.

I am getting 230kbps download speeds and 367kbps upload speeds which looking at others complaining of 800kbps d/l seems horrendous!

I phoned Sky who said I'm getting 7904 as shown on router page. The chap seemed to know less than me. I mentioned speedtest etc and this seemed to go over his head. Chocolate fireguard sprang to mind and I began to cry BUT THEN I found YOU LOT!

So can someone please post a step by step guide as to what I can do next. (All the advice on here is a bit daunting for newbies) I have about 3 days before I can go back and will do if this continues. However, I know some of you good folk may be able to help. Thanks in advance and can I tell all the helpers here you do a superb unpaid service which is truly appreciated, honestly I'm not just begging for replies!!

2. Advertisement
      Andy_G is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAROC
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      First thing I would do is run TCP optimiser, info here:
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/showt...=tcp+optimiser
      Your Line Attenuation and Noise Margin figures are very good! so you should definately get much higher speeds than you are.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      In the evening I am getting 267kbps compared to 6380 kbps in the early morning. Going by the time of ammers post I wonder if it could be to do with the general slow down in the evening as mentioned a few times on here.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks for responses. I rang the Optimizer which got it up to 475kbps but that's still poor. I will check in the morning to see if it is an evening thing and possibly try the (un)helpline. Other than that I think I'll go back to BT!!

Thanks for help much appreciated again.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Final update and also backs up another thread and comment by Alan B.

I get 5884 kb/s in the morning as opposed to 200-400 in the evening! What utter madness. I would have preferred some honest advertising on this and would not have transferred if I had known. I'm back to BT, it was never this bad. I know you pay more but I really can't be bothered with the aggro.

Good luck everyone.

lzw
      lzw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WOLVERTON (SEEMINGLY AT THE END OF THE UNIVERSE)
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh I can beat that. How about 76kbs!

Hi I've been on skybb since 4/10/06. I use ubuntu on my laptop and get 2028kbs but on the ibook I acheive the startling figure of.... yes 76kbs. And I'm on the max package too, lord help me!