Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Totally stuck- abysmal download speeds

This is a discussion on Totally stuck- abysmal download speeds within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Yes there have been a lot of people with that problem and it seems tier 3 need to do something ...

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yes there have been a lot of people with that problem and it seems tier 3 need to do something no idea what but a lot of members have said once that been done speed has been very good so I suggest you call TS and tell them whats happening.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

2. Advertisement
      loki is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WESTERN (WSWES)
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if my soul (or bank balance) can take another 1 1/2 hours on hold just to speak to a tier 3. Not today anyway...

and sorry about you know what
      Last edited by Wheelie; 08-10-06 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post.Please use QUOTE sparingly please use @User Name this helps keep the forum tidy thanks

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      There are some free phone number is the support forum somewhere try one of them
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

nsp24 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Starbeck
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      [/COLOR]
      Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
      I am having EXACTLY the same problem as you. Will post my stats when back home tonight.

Nice to know you're not alone, eh
      I am also having this problem on the 8mb Connect Package, First thing in the morning I am getting 6mb but early evening it is below 1mb

Here are the results I have just had

Last Result:
      Download Speed: 795 kbps (99.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
      Upload Speed: 372 kbps (46.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

What should I expect to get at 8pm on a weekday?

rcaudwell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Southport
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

After another lengthy phone call to Sky this evening (although to their credit I didn`t have to wait more than a minute for the call to be answered and got through to an English speaking CS agent who did seem to listen and seemed to be a bit of a techie himself, sparing me the "is it connected" conversation)
      He tried a whoosh test, which didn`t run properly and was therefore reported as "inconclusive", then passed me to Tier 2 who got me to try the speed test on the BT openworld site, which maxed out at a whopping transfer speed of 25 k/s !! He then decided it was a BT fault and would be reported to them and I would "definately" hear back from Sky within 48 hours.
      Anyone had similar experiences and what do you reckon my chances of a call back in 48 hours are?
      Last edited by rcaudwell; 04-10-06 at 11:51 PM. Reason: spelling

loki is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WESTERN (WSWES)
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by rcaudwell View Post
      He then decided it was a BT fault and would be reported to them and I would "definately" hear back from Sky within 48 hours.
      Anyone had similar experiences and what do you reckon my chances of a call back in 48 hours are?
      Let us know if they do get back to you. I need to go through the same process and It would be good to know if a positive result is at the end of all those hours on hold...

BTW can anybody confirm that Tier 3 do work 24/7 or at least at daytime weekends, anyway?

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Right, the 48 hours is up as of 2 hours ago and guess what, not a peep from Sky. It does seem that something has been going on with my line though, the sync speed has been moving around a bit, having said that, I`m currently downloading a TV show at the lofty speed of 24 kb/s (only another 7 hours to go
      Sky will be getting the sharp end of my tongue tomorrow, I wouldn`t have minded if they`d said they`d get back to me in 5 working days and actually done it, but to promise 48 hours and then not bother really winds me up.

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quick update:- rang Sky this evening to get an operative whose command of the English language (or lack of) made any kind of meaningful conversation or complaint a complete waste of time and effort (maybe this is a new ploy by Sky, if you can`t understand them, and they can`t understand you, then you can`t complain/cancel or anything else ) Rang back but encountered the same problem, then gave up.
      Looks like my first phone call to them when I got an English speaking, knowledgeable rep was a fluke

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hesitate to write this but it looks like they`ve finally sorted out my connection speed. From what I can deduce they`ve capped the connection to 4mb and yesterday I was getting 400-500kb/s downloads on the majority of sites I tried.
      Presumably I`ll get a callback at some point and just praying they don`t undo whatever it is they`ve done to get the connection working.
      To anyone else in the same position my advice is to stick with it- looks like they do actually have the abillity to sort it out.

ammers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Update After Three Weeks

Hi I originally posted a help message as I was getting 230kb/s download speeds in the evening and 5884kb/s in the morning after first transferring. I did run the optimiser that doubled the speed and helped a bit to 480kb/s.

Now after two weeks my download speed has increased to a more respectable 2677 kb/s today and has been as much as 3237 kb/s in the evening peak time. So over a matter of two weeks mine has increased significantly. Still poor as I'm on 8mb and slower than my old BT link but adequate for what I need.

That being said maybe we were all taken in by the sales pitch and as other posters have said it will take sky sometime to get it completely right being how new this is to them.

I too feel a bit hard done by, however it is cheaper and if you look where they have taken other enterprises we can hope they eventually do that to broadband. I know that doesn't help problems for some but maybe light at the end of the tunnel?

Here's hoping max soon comes along to save us all.

Keep hoping chaps!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast