Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Strange drop of download speed?

This is a discussion on Strange drop of download speed? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok so my download speed has gone from around 3000kbps to 128-192kbps.My upload has stayed the same at 800.Over last ...

KyleF is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Strange drop of download speed?

Ok so my download speed has gone from around 3000kbps to 128-192kbps.My upload has stayed the same at 800.Over last weekend the router kept disconnecting every 5 minutes and flashing orange but that has stopped now.

And now basically i can only run one machine at a time or they both suffer servere lag. For example if both my laptop and xbox are on, i can't get onto a webpage and i experiance harsh COD lag!!!.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 192 kbps 800 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 21 db 8 db

My noise margin changes at every interval from 5 to 40ish...

The only thing changed lately is the sky box has been unplugged from the socket because my mum said after a year you no longer need it if you only want the basic package...

Thanks guys...

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Strange drop of download speed?

Try your test socket purely to see if there's something causing the noise issue. If its the same then you'll need to call Sky to get it back up
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

My noise margin changes at every interval from 5 to 40ish...
      It looks like you have a line fault. Dial one digit on your phone and see if the rate steadies.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I Have noise on my home phone, i have discorvered.I rang 1-4-7-1 and there is loads of noise. I don't know why it would suddenly do this though

Ill try it in the test socket and report back!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Plug the phone on its own into the Test socket, dial 17070 option 2 and listen, if you have noise on the line report it to your phone rental provider. Don't use a filter or have anything else plugged in at the same time.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok guys ive just spent some time looking at this. I plugged the phone and router into the test socket, using the same filter as in the other socket. No noise and my download went to 4100kbps. It also works fine in the master socket( the normal place you put the wire when the faceplate is on not the test socket.)It went down to 3100kbps but thats expected right?

So we are thinking that there is a fault in the socket we usually use (in the lounge) or the wire connecting that socket to the master socket(all other sockets are connected to the master socket, right?)

However i don't know why its done it all of a sudden?Like had it just randomly broke at this time? I mean my dad said we've never touched the wiring since we moved here 10 years ago.So theoretically the wiring could be 10-20+ years old?

But we definately need to use the socket in the lounge because if we used the master socket, the phone and router would have to be right at the bottom of the stairs ( Making it very unconveniant))

Also (yeah i know, so many questions) could this fault be causing the router to disconnect from the internet (light goes orange) every 5 minutes?

thanks for any info

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

You should always really run the router off the master socket using a filtered faceplate. Just mount the router on the wall and run a long ethernet cable to where the internet needs to be - that's how I have mine set up. As for the phone issue you may find after fitting a filtered plate that the issue goes away, if it doesnt then really the only option is to rewire your lounge extension using high quality Cat5e cable.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB