Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

can i get any more speed?

This is a discussion on can i get any more speed? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, i have Sky BB unlimited (i got upgraded to this automatically back in march for downloading too much). I ...

zak08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

can i get any more speed?

Hi,

i have Sky BB unlimited (i got upgraded to this automatically back in march for downloading too much). I was wondering if, with the stats below, i can get any more speed from my BB? I currently get no faster than 10Mb download and about 800kb upload, yet my connection details on My Sky account says my connection is set to 14336Kb download and 1312Kb upload (completed on 21/03/2010).

Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 14328 kbps 948 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.0 db 14.8 db
      Noise Margin 4.0 db 7.5 db

I realise online speed tests can vary, but i've never seen any test give me a speed above 10Mb. In addition, in downloading large files off usenet, 10Mb is the max download i get, nowhere near 14Mb sky says my connection is set to. Was thinking that perhaps because i was upgraded to 20Mb BB from 10Mb back in march that somehow my connection might still be capped to the previous package i was on?

I am a direct distance of about 0.67miles to my exchange (about 1.4miles by road).

cheers in advance for any advice/opinions!

Z
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails can i get any more speed?-927788999.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: can i get any more speed?

If anything, you are syncing too high and this could cause the slow down.

If you are using wireless, try a wire and then change your router channel number, it would also be worth rebooting the router.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Your noise margin is low, maybe not low enough to cause a disconnection, but it is probably causing errors. Errors mean that data has to be sent more than once, which slows your connection down. Reboot when you have a low margin, this should re sync you to a lower speed, but you will probably find your throughput is better. You are unlikely to get a wireless speed equal to your ethernet speed as apart from interference issues, wireless carries a larger overhead than wired.

Try using Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester instead of the tester you are using. It has been proved time and again that Speedtest.net is not too good.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi guys,

thanks for your feedback. With regards to which BB speed tester site to use, i've used multiple sites (including the Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester) and they all give pretty much the same results (ie ~10Mb download, ~800Kb upload). Moreover, in real world downloading, off both BitTorrent (which is always a bit flaky speed wise cos it depends on lots of things so im not relying on this) and UseNet (which will eat up bandwidth like there's no tomorrow), the absolute max download speed i get is 10Mb. Yet my sky account says it has a connection of 14Mb download and 1.3Mb upload after it completed line testing back in march. Also if i put my download Line attenuation into SkyUser - Potential ADSL2 Line Speed Checker & Calculator it says i should be getting between 12-14Mb. Am i somehow losing speed (both download and upload) somewhere? I will give trying these speed tests (and downloading off usenet) via an ethernet connection instead of wifi and see if that makes a difference. I just dont want to be losing out on speed if im paying for it!

I should probably point out though, i suffer no connection issues, far from it, my wifi connection never drops which im quite happy about.

z

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Ultimately you're paying for 'up to 20Mbps' so would you not pay cause you sync 6Mbps below that?

10Mbps is still more than fast enough for anything and while there are issues somewhere it's not something you can kick off at Sky about (yet)

And the checker is for sync rate, and you sync @ 14Mbps so it's correct...it's nothing to do with download speed
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

You will never get a download speed equal to your sync speed, due to overheads on the connection and the actual set up of your PC. With a sync of 14mb, you should get between 11.9 and 12.6mb actual download speed. Using wireless will slow it even more due to encryption and interference from other sources. Try a speedtest using ethernet on Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester I think you will find you are within the expected speed rate.

If you are using XP, you can use TCPOptimiser or DrTCP to optimise your connection. You can't do much with Vista or Win 7.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'll try tonight some speed tests on ethernet instead of wifi and see, but its good to know im getting the most out of my braodband.

cheers

z

Exchange:
      Thanks

So i just tried various speed tests (using an ethernet connection instead of wifi), including the Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester, and i get speeds of about 12Mb download (before it was 10Mb) and 770Kb upload (this hasnt really changed). Quite surprised at the 2Mb speed difference just from switching to a wired connection. Interesting to know.

Was wondering, i was reading elsewhere on this site, should i replace the faceplate on my BT socket, with a filtered faceplate (like the XTE-2005)? would that help improve speeds/line quality further? Attached is a pic of the main socket that comes into our house, the sky engineer when he was installing everything replaced the faceplate, and attached a crappy splitter that then extends all the way into our living room, where he then has the filter put on, and the phone line connected, and the router connected (i dont have my sky+ box connected as there isnt enough ports, not really a problem, ive never needed it so far). Just wondered if it was something i should perhaps invest in, they are only like 10.

cheers for the help/advice guys, much appreciated it all.

z
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails can i get any more speed?-photo.jpg  

Thanks

That;s a splitter, not a filter. It should be plugged into a filter. You will benifit from a faceplate filter if you have extensions or the filter you is using are low quality

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

I said it was a splitter. The sky engineer replaced the faceplate and attached this crappy splitter, then ran the extension into our living room, then attached the filter, then attached the phone and router to the filter.

So this extension is the only extension i guess, and the filter is just the bog standard filter supplied by sky, i guess they may be poor quality, i wouldnt know. I might look into replacing the faceplate some more

cheers!

z

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast