Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

can i get any more speed?

This is a discussion on can i get any more speed? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My point is that the filter should be plugged into the socket first, then the extension plugged into it. The ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: can i get any more speed?

My point is that the filter should be plugged into the socket first, then the extension plugged into it. The way you have it set up is wrong and will cause problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      zak08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I decided to test my bb speed at the master socket, so connected a filter to it and connected the router to it. My speeds were pretty much exactly the same as when i tested via ethernet cable (ie ~12Mb download and ~750Kb upload) on the extension. So does this mean that I am getting the absolute max speed from my connection (given that the speeds are identical at the master socket as they are via the extension that the sky engineer installed to the living room)?

Also, when i put everything back together (ie out the faceplate back on the master socket, moved the router back into the living room as before), i carried out some speed tests. While I got the exact same download/upload speeds as before (and as at the master socket) via an ethernet connection, my bb speed via wifi now matches what i get via ethernet as well (my original post states that on wifi, my download was 10Mb and upload ~750Kb, this is now 12Mb download and ~750Kb upload). Below is the current stats from my router:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 13975 kbps 928 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.0 db 15.1 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 8.5 db

does this mean what Isitme said earlier is correct, that because the noise margin was low before, errors were popping up, and that now that ive re-booted the router the noise margin has increased a bit, giving better throughput and therefore better speed via wifi? just wondering!

cheers

z

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Your noise margin is low, maybe not low enough to cause a disconnection, but it is probably causing errors. Errors mean that data has to be sent more than once, which slows your connection down. Reboot when you have a low margin, this should re sync you to a lower speed, but you will probably find your throughput is better. You are unlikely to get a wireless speed equal to your ethernet speed as apart from interference issues, wireless carries a larger overhead than wired.

Try using Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester instead of the tester you are using. It has been proved time and again that Speedtest.net is not too good.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

As you can see, your noise margin has increased and you speed decreased a little which is actually a good thing and should reduce any errors building up on the line like I indicated in post no.2

Exchange:
      Thanks

cheers!

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

You seem to have totally missed the point RE posting up stats from the Test socket! I have no doubt that the way you have it set up at present (on the end of one of SKY's crappy extension leads) is slowing it down. Your speedtest should have been the same as your connection is capped at 14mb and theres no way of it going higher in a better wiring condition unless sky remove the cap. Your other stats may however change which will indicate if there is more to be had or not.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Exchange:
      Thanks

sorry i dont follow you, I said that the speed tests (multiple speed tests!) at the master socket were exactly the same results as via the crap sky extension lead (using an ethernet cable to connect the router). this would suggest i'm not losing any speed by using the extension, no? Perhaps i should of posted the actual router stats when the router was connected to the master socket (ie line attenuation, noise etc)? *note that im not saying having the router at the end of the sky extension cable is a good thing, regardless of whatever speed i get!*

I only seen an increase in speed when testing via wifi, which brought the speeds to the same as what they are when testing via ethernet. I assume this is because the router has been rebooted and the noise margin has increased, when moving it to and from the master socket.

my speed is capped at 14Mb, i thought that it was rare to actually get this speed (sync speed?), someone else mentioned you never get download speeds that equal your sync speed?

z

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      You seem to have totally missed the point RE posting up stats from the Test socket! I have no doubt that the way you have it set up at present (on the end of one of SKY's crappy extension leads) is slowing it down. Your speedtest should have been the same as your connection is capped at 14mb and theres no way of it going higher in a better wiring condition unless sky remove the cap. Your other stats may however change which will indicate if there is more to be had or not.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

The speed tests are irrelevent - we need to see your CONNECTION stats when in the test socket and on the extension. At present your sync speed will be the same in either so speed test results will be the same. What we need to see if more speed can be had once internal wiring is corrected...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ah ok, so u need router stats for when the router is connected to the extension (which I posted) AND the same stats for when it's connected at the master socket?no problem, I'll do that.

So doing this comparison of the stats allows us to see if the wiring is causing any slow down, and wether or not any more speed can be had?

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      The speed tests are irrelevent - we need to see your CONNECTION stats when in the test socket and on the extension. At present your sync speed will be the same in either so speed test results will be the same. What we need to see if more speed can be had once internal wiring is corrected...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Indeed!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

the same stats for when it's connected at the master socket?
      The Test socket actually, the one the Master socket plugs into.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast